Julia?

Dellaert, Frank

Sep 23, 2021, 9:57:46 AM9/23/21
to gtsam users
I have not worked in Julia but I’m intrigued. If there is anybody here that is particularly passionate about Julia, it would be cool to consider a Julia wrapper for GTSAM. It seems that the boost-python style wrapper package here:
should be easy to support as we already use boost-python for the python wrapper.
Send me email if you’re passionate *and* can make the time commitment:-)
Frank

Varun Agrawal

Sep 23, 2021, 10:04:20 AM9/23/21
to Dellaert, Frank, gtsam users
I've worked with Julia a bit due to my frustrations with Matlab. It's a phenomenal language but the one disappointment was that it is 1-indexed (and unlike cpp and python) so I wasn't ready to make those mental gymnastics.

I'm curious as to why we're not pushing for Swift support in the wrapper first.

Varun Agrawal

Sep 23, 2021, 10:05:17 AM9/23/21
to Dellaert, Frank, gtsam users
Also this can be a GSoC project.

José Luis Blanco-Claraco

Sep 23, 2021, 4:46:58 PM9/23/21
to Varun Agrawal, Dellaert, Frank, gtsam users
On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 4:05 PM Varun Agrawal <varag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also this can be a GSoC project.

+1

Tangentially related: if, for whatever reasons, you want to try
another more automated Python wrapper, pybind11 [1] is great.

JL

[1] https://github.com/pybind/pybind11

Dellaert, Frank

Sep 23, 2021, 4:54:17 PM9/23/21
to José Luis Blanco-Claraco, Varun Agrawal, gtsam users
Oh, yes, sorry, we are​ using pybind11
See https://github.com/borglab/wrap, big kudos to Duy Nguyen Ta, Varun Agrawal and Fan Jiang
Julio would become a different target language alongside python and MATLAB there.
Frank