Sim(3) pose graph

Philippe-Antoine Gohard

Feb 8, 2021, 9:43:36 AM2/8/21
to gtsam users

Hello everyone, thanks for accepting me in the group.

I'm currently developing a visual graph-SLAM system (monocular for instance) using GTSAM for optimizing the graph. Everything works like a charm for instance (fast and precise !), with a little drift at the end of the estimated trajectory. However, following Starsdat paper and thesis , I would like to correct (distribute) the accumulated drift around all the poses, using a sim(3) pose graph.

I saw that there is a similarity Lie group which is in the unstable module of gtsam, but I don't think it implements enough function following this (no compose, no between) to be used inside a pose graph.

My question is what should I use to do a sim(3) pose graph ? There is no compact form for the jacobian (the derivative of  log(Sij * exp(e)* Si *Sj^-1) |e=0 is not trivial!), and Strasdat use the Campbell-Baker-Hausdorff formula to have an approximation, but it doesn't seems better than using numerical derivatives (I don't have a great expertise on the subject).

Should I define my own type and use numerical derivatives? Or use the unstable actual one and do something I ignore with the between factor ?

Thanks in advance for considering this, and thanks for the great work you provide !

PS: I don't try the automatic differentiation, as if I understand correctly will need partial derivatives, thus needing the "general" jacobian (not the one with epsilon tends to 0 ) of logmap that I don't have.

Dellaert, Frank

Feb 8, 2021, 10:43:25 AM2/8/21
to Philippe-Antoine Gohard, gtsam users
Hi Philippe-Antoine,

Similarity3.h derives from LieGroup, and hence it does​ have all of these things.
Please look in testSimilarity3 for a number of examples.

Best
Frank

Feb 8, 2021, 11:00:58 AM2/8/21
to gtsam users

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for this quick answer ! Okay that's perfect then, I'll use Similarity3.h.

Best regards,
P-A