📰 Article: How to use GTFS data to track transit vehicles in realtime

Ramiro Nuñez Dosio

Dec 10, 2020, 9:29:45 AM12/10/20
to GTFS-realtime
Hello everyone 👋

Wanted to share with you a brand new article where we show how to combine GTFS and GTFS-R data to have in-depth details of a transit system in combination with realtime updates.

How to use GTFS data to track transit vehicles in realtime

Let me know what you think, feedback is always welcomed do✌️

Stefan de Konink

Dec 10, 2020, 9:48:17 AM12/10/20
to Ramiro Nuñez Dosio, GTFS-realtime
On Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:29:45 PM CET, Ramiro Nuñez Dosio wrote:
> Let me know what you think, feedback is always welcomed do✌️

One of the coolest things to do with transit information is the suggestion
that you can use the data itself as prediction on road or track usage. A
train cannot overtake another vehicle, while a bus that has just traveled a
link is likely a good predictor for the traffic and that segment for the
next vehicle. The above combines a local prediction with a network
prediction.

For the transit operator in The Hague runs a visualisation system that
combines information and puts in D3.js, it has is open source for several
years. Doesn't use fancy stuff like websockets (yet), but you probably get
the idea. I think it would be trivial to connect your work and this
frontend.

<http://ptds.htmwiki.nl/>
<https://github.com/HTMPersonenvervoerNV/PTDS.js>

From what I have experienced with developing backend integration platforms
at the scale of a country; sharding data is possible but typically not
great especially if you want to use the above network predictions as well.
Giving the size and the requirement to fetch, process update data
concurrently, I am wondering if out of process usage (databases, enterprise
service bus) of this data meet latency requirements. For example, is
several implementations we obviously have a database running somewhere, but
all the processing is in memory with key-value stores (dictionary/map), a
different process is for logging and 'recovery'.

--
Stefan