GTFS vs GTFS-RT

Bartosz Gogel

Apr 30, 2022, 1:36:58 PM4/30/22
to GTFS-realtime
Hello, I'm trying to find relation between GTFS and GTFS-RT data.
To make example, as I understand - the replation can be done using trip_id key between trip_updates and trips.txt file.
What if trip_updates has trip_id key which is not in trips.txt file. feed_info.txt has proper date range.
Please help me to figure it.

Best regards
Bartosz Gogel

John Sanborn

Apr 30, 2022, 6:03:23 PM4/30/22
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Easy question! GTFS is the "planned" static schedule data, in comma separated text files, gathered together in the .zip file. Most, I think, but not all, agencies update this file once a week.

GTFS-RT, on the other hand,  is a binary file or files with a .pb extension in Google's protobuffer file format. This file(s) has real-time information with alerts, vehicles position and other data, and, as you said, trip_updates that relates the real-time data to the static schedule. In this way you can represent arrivals/departures as early, late, on time, canceled, etc. The GTFS-RT file(s) are updated frequently, generally as often as every five to thirty seconds.

hope that helps.

Bartosz Gogel

May 1, 2022, 2:35:05 PM5/1/22
to GTFS-realtime
Aiiiii, now I've found feed_info file, so I should load into database not one but few files with static data. That's why I didn't see trips.
Thank you for help!

John Sanborn

May 1, 2022, 10:01:03 PM5/1/22
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
... also I should have added this: https://mobilitydata.org/ and this: http://gtfs.org/

These will tell you just about everything.