Proposal: Support platform changes within a station in GTFS-RT

Sean Barbeau

Apr 29, 2020, 4:23:16 PM4/29/20
to GTFS-realtime
Hi all,
I just opened a new proposal to support platform changes within a station in GTFS-RT:

Comments on GitHub are welcome!

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Barbeau
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida

Sean Barbeau

May 27, 2020, 10:40:37 AM5/27/20
to GTFS-realtime
This pull request has been open for several weeks, so per the Official Process I'm calling for a vote.

Vote will be closed on Wednesday June 3rd at 23:59:59 UTC.

You can vote via +1 or -1 comment on the GitHub pull request:

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Barbeau

Aug 10, 2020, 11:51:52 AM8/10/20
to GTFS-realtime
Following additional discussion, I'd like to re-open the vote on this proposal! Vote will be closed on Monday Aug 17th at 23:59:59 UTC.

You can vote via +1 or -1 comment on the GitHub pull request:

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Barbeau

Aug 18, 2020, 6:09:24 PM8/18/20
to GTFS-realtime
The vote is closed, and here are the results:
* Yes (+1)
    * Google (@tleboulenge)
    * Metro Transit, Minneapolis/St. Paul (@lauramatson)
    * MBTA (@paulswartz)
* No (-1)
    * Bliksem Labs B.V. (@skinkie)
* Abstain (+0)
    * Transit App (@gcamp)

We need at least 80% yes for experimental GTFS-RT features [per the official process](https://github.com/google/transit/blob/master/gtfs-realtime/CHANGES.md#experimental-fields), so this proposal does not pass.

Further discussion on GitHub is welcome.

Sean

Sean Barbeau

Nov 3, 2020, 12:01:00 PM11/3/20
to GTFS-realtime
After further community discussion and revisions, I'd like to call for a vote on adding this proposal as an experimental field in GTFS-realtime again.

tl;dr - this feature allows producers to assign a stop for a given StopTimeUpdate in real-time, with the primary intended use case being platform assignments within a station. However, some flexibility in assignments is allowed for additional uses of real-time assignments as long as new stop does not result in a significantly different trip experience for the end user than the stop_id defined in GTFS stop_times.txt (see the diff in the PR for a full description!).

Vote will be closed on Tuesday Nov 10th at 23:59:59 UTC.

You can vote via +1 or -1 comment on the GitHub pull request:

https://github.com/google/transit/pull/219

Thanks,

Sean

Sean Barbeau

Nov 12, 2020, 11:48:33 AM11/12/20
to GTFS-realtime

The vote is closed, and here are the results:

So with 4 "yes" votes this proposal passes as an experimental feature! 🎉 Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion.

Sean