Was gtasks stolen by another developer???

Fred Phoesh

Jul 26, 2010, 4:18:24 PM7/26/10
to gTasks
Hello guys,

I am trying to figure out what is going on.
This is where gtasks was created.

Then there is some other guy called dato (not a real name, I imagine)
over at http://groups.google.com/group/gtasks-by-dato who is trying to
sell gtasks, now rebranded as gtasks-by-dato.

What on earth is going on?

Also, I paid for gtasks. Dato is asking for more money for the same
app. It seems like fraud to me, but I do not know the facts, and I
have written to Peter F who seems vague about it.

I hope for his sake that this is all ok and that those who have paid
for gtasks already will continue to get updates for free. I do like
what Dato has done to gtasks and hope it is all legal and with Pete's
approval.

Mark.

Jeff Simmons

Jul 26, 2010, 4:49:31 PM7/26/10
to gta...@googlegroups.com
If you look at the screenshots on androlib, its a totally different app.  I think its great that Peter has some competition.  I hope it motivates him into putting out a decent widget and start delivering some enhancements.

dunxd

May 10, 2011, 6:25:12 PM5/10/11
to gta...@googlegroups.com, simmons....@gmail.com
I like Dato's gTasks better.  Anyway - everyone calls Google Tasks gTasks, Google Calender gCal, Gmail gmail.  It's a shame there is a namespace clash, but both are using Google's product nickname anyway, so fair game...

Fred Phoesh

May 11, 2011, 2:53:45 PM5/11/11
to gTasks
Hi
Actually since I found Google Tasks Organiser, I don't use Dato or
gTasks, Google Tasks Organiser has Scrolling Widgets! YEAH!
Im not so sure it was "fair game" when dato's came out, it was nearly
identical to the original gTasks, so it really did seem there was some
stolen code... which is not what I would call fair game, but who
knows. Anyhow at this point GTO is the one to use IMO.
Mark.

Benjamin Crist

May 11, 2011, 3:27:20 PM5/11/11
to gta...@googlegroups.com
My two cents - I tried Remember the Milk and decided it was worth the money. I am still very happy with it.

rmf

May 20, 2011, 3:57:40 PM5/20/11
to gta...@googlegroups.com
This project, GTasks, was not stolen by another developer.

Regarding the name of the referenced application: The new application developer simply used the common name GTasks - something that is completely fair game in my opinion. Just do a Google Web search for gtasks and you will quickly see this is not the only project to use that name. And then take a look at the results that come up with searches for gtasks chrome extensions or gtasks firefox extensions and you will quickly see that GTasks is a commonly used name for a product which provides a front-end to Google Tasks. I mean, since the cloud back-end with-which all these apps / extensions / etc. are leveraging is named Google Tasks (and even titled by Google in multiple instances as GTasks), I don't believe any use of Google Tasks, or any variation on it, could be viewed as stealing an application.

Regarding the two applications themselves: Both this project and the referenced project were developed using different code-bases and paths, and while they may have at one time looked similar *user-interface* wise, again, I see no reason to believe this project was stolen from.

In closing, there has been much more competition recently regarding Google Tasks-Based applications for Android, and honestly, this is only a good thing. Both for developers (to get their asses in gear and stay on-top feature, stability, and in general) and for consumers (allowing for much more choice per ones preferences than before).