About the "if" in Prim and Kruskal, and the term project

Haidong (Haydon) Xue

Jul 17, 2012, 12:22:33 PM7/17/12
to gsu-csc4520...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

1. On the slides of Lecture 11A. The "if" in Kruskal and Prim means: if satisfied repeat the loop as I showed you in the examples. Hence, it is better to be a "while" in all the descriptions. I have just updated the slides. Please make sure you know what the correct algorithm is. The best way is to go through the whole algorithm in a example to get the correct output.

2. About the project, a association rule mining algorithm is to generate all the association rules. Generally, there are two steps:
(1) Generate all the frequent sets.
This part is the tricky part. Many algorithms are proposed here in this domain.

(2) From the results of (1) generate all the association rules.
This part is very straightforward, and nearly all the algorithms are the same in this part.

You need to finish both (1) and (2) because you are being asked to implement association rule mining algorithms. If you really have difficulty to finish both of them, you can only finish (1), some credits will be taken out (not too much).

However, if you can finish (1), why not finish (2), (2) is much much simpler than (1).

--
Haidong(Haydon) Xue
Ph.D Candidate