pipeline.stop() causes core dump

koen on scala

Apr 20, 2023, 7:29:38 AM4/20/23
to gstreamer-java

Using Gst.parseLaunch(“videotestsrc ! fakesink sync=false“) as a dummy test pipeline, I can launch several of these, and stop them after a scheduled delay. When I try to do the same with Gst.parseLaunch(“videotestsrc ! autovideosink“), I do get a window popping up with a tab for each pipeline showing the video ( it’s working), but when calling pipeline.stop(), I get a core dump ( - oh it’s not).

I understand that each individual component may have its own bugs, but I was not expecting this from a core component. Is there any guidance to figure out whether I’m doing something wrong in my code, whether it is related to the Java bindings, or an issue with the gstreamer component itself? I’m running on Mac 12.6.4, so maybe autovideosink does not work well on Mac. I tried on three different JVMs but that doesn't make a difference.

Is there a way to protect my whole process crashing? In Java I’m used to wrap code in a try-catch construct, but the core dump cannot be catched in this way. What would be a good/safe approach?

Neil C Smith

Apr 20, 2023, 10:48:48 AM4/20/23
to gstream...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Pretty much, find out why it's crashing!

I assume this is a basic test project with no other dependencies? No
other code? Otherwise it could be interaction with libraries from
elsewhere or in the JDK.

Have a look for a hs_err_** or similar file that might give you a
stack trace of what fails.

autovideosink is an element that finds the "best" sink to use. You do
have some control of what element it chooses to use, although on macOS
there might only be one anyway.

Also check upstream in the GStreamer project for similar issues,
possibly try on their mailing list.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Codelerity Ltd.

Codelerity Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales
Registered company number : 12063669
Registered office address : Office 4 219 Kensington High Street,
Kensington, London, England, W8 6BD