GSoC project: "Make gst-switch server scriptable via Python"

sploving

Apr 23, 2013, 10:37:19 AM4/23/13
to gst-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tim,
   I am interested in the project "Make gst-switch server scriptable via Python". Does that mean we need add python bindings for gst-switch server? So that in python programming language, we can use gst-switch?
   If that is case,  can we use "SWIG" tools in this project, which can generate the binding functions automatically? Thanks

Tim Ansell

Apr 24, 2013, 12:08:41 AM4/24/13
to gst-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi sploving,

Sorry I missed on on IRC. What we are after is a Python library for controlling the gst-switch server. The API should let you do things like,
 * Start a new recording
 * Stop a current recording or roll over to a new file
 * Change the PIP modes
 * Change the active inputs
 * Start / stop a running gst-switch server.

gst-switch uses DBus as the control interface, so you'll need to use something like python-dbus. http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/doc/tutorial.html

To test your API it would be good idea to create a test-suite for gst-switch server which runs through common operations.

Tim