Beagleboard and kernel 3.2.3-x4 problems

Karl Lattimer

Feb 6, 2012, 8:16:13 AM2/6/12
to gst-dsp
Hi all,
I have recently just set up a beagle board (xm rev c) using the
guide here; http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu and after managing to
get a working DSP with release 4 (kernel 3.2.2-x4) I discovered that
the omaplfb.ko driver was missing and therefore had no video, a brief
chat with Robert Nelson and I managed to get it working.

For the record I'm not running a desktop session, I just want to be
able to run a player app on an X server.

With this latest r5 release and kernel 3.2.3 I'm getting errors like
the following;

root@omap:/home/ubuntu# gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/ubuntu/
big_buck_bunny_480p_surround-fix.avi
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
ERROR: from element /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0: The
autoaudiosink element is not working.
Additional debug info:
gstplaysink.c(1885): gen_audio_chain (): /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/
GstPlaySink:playsink0
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
setup_buffers: couldn't allocate buffer: wrong-state
setup_buffers: couldn't allocate buffer: wrong-state
Freeing pipeline ...

root@omap:/home/ubuntu/DSP codecs# gst-launch audiotestsrc !
autoaudiosink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /GstJackAudioSink:autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-
jackaudio: Jack server not found
Additional debug info:
gstjackaudiosink.c(353): gst_jack_ring_buffer_open_device (): /
GstJackAudioSink:autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-jackaudio:
Cannot connect to the Jack server (status 17)
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
root@omap:/home/ubuntu/DSP codecs#

I tried starting jackd myself (After launching dbus) and go this

root@omap:/home/ubuntu# DISPLAY=:1 jackd --no-realtime -d alsa
jackdmp 1.9.7
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-
endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to open server

here's some vital statistics

root@omap:/home/ubuntu# gst-inspect | grep dsp
dsp: dspdummy: DSP dummy element
dsp: dspvdec: DSP video decoder
dsp: dspadec: DSP audio decoder
dsp: dsph263enc: DSP video encoder
dsp: dspmp4venc: DSP MPEG-4 video encoder
dsp: dspjpegenc: DSP video encoder
dsp: dsph264enc: DSP video encoder
dsp: dspvpp: DSP VPP filter
dsp: dspipp: DSP IPP
dvdspu: dvdspu: Sub-picture Overlay

root@omap:/home/ubuntu# lsmod
Module Size Used by
md4 3209 0
hmac 2595 1
cifs 258011 2
lirc_serial 16310 1
bridgedriver 158865 0
mailbox_mach 4475 0
mailbox 5096 2 bridgedriver,mailbox_mach
bufferclass_ti 5104 0
omaplfb 8319 0
pvrsrvkm 149414 2 bufferclass_ti,omaplfb
snd_soc_omap3beagle 2195 0
snd_soc_twl4030 37284 1
snd_soc_omap_mcbsp 8230 1
snd_soc_omap 3353 1
snd_soc_core 106430 4
snd_soc_omap3beagle,snd_soc_twl4030,snd_soc_omap_mcbsp,snd_soc_omap
regmap_spi 1231 1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm 80349 4
snd_soc_twl4030,snd_soc_omap_mcbsp,snd_soc_omap,snd_soc_core
smsc95xx 11334 0
snd_timer 19971 1 snd_pcm
snd 58177 3 snd_soc_core,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 7465 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 4959 1 snd_pcm
rtc_ds1307 6466 0
gpio_keys 6941 0
rtc_twl 4418 0
hid_apple 4995 0
usbhid 34540 0
root@omap:/home/ubuntu#

Any suggestions welcome, anyone who has come across a similar problem
pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Felipe Contreras

Feb 6, 2012, 8:22:48 AM2/6/12
to Karl Lattimer, gst-dsp
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Karl Lattimer <ka...@qdh.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I have recently just set up a beagle board (xm rev c) using the
> guide here; http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu and after managing to
> get a working DSP with release 4 (kernel 3.2.2-x4) I discovered that
> the omaplfb.ko driver was missing and therefore had no video, a brief
> chat with Robert Nelson and I managed to get it working.
>
> For the record I'm not running a desktop session, I just want to be
> able to run a player app on an X server.
>
> With this latest r5 release and kernel 3.2.3 I'm getting errors like
> the following;
>
> root@omap:/home/ubuntu# gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/ubuntu/
> big_buck_bunny_480p_surround-fix.avi
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> ERROR: from element /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0: The
> autoaudiosink element is not working.

I thought I suggested to run 'gst-launch audiotestsrc ! autoaudiosink'
and you said that didn't work, so the issue is not related to gst-dsp.

Most likely the problem is related to ALSA, so I would look at the
differences between the 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 kernels on the sound/soc area.
You could try 'gst-launch audiotestsrc ! alsasink' , and if that
fails, try aplay, or some ALSA based test. You should discuss this
with Ubuntu maintainers I guess.

The other possibility is that there's something wrong with
autoaudiosink (in case alsasink works), but that should not depend on
the kernel version, and you should contact the GStreamer mailing list
for that.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

Víctor M. Jáquez L.

Feb 6, 2012, 10:49:07 AM2/6/12
to Karl Lattimer, gst-dsp
On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:16:13AM -0800, Karl Lattimer wrote:

> root@omap:/home/ubuntu# gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/ubuntu/
> big_buck_bunny_480p_surround-fix.avi
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started

I don't know anything about jackd, but it seems that the jack daemon isn't
running.

I guess is like pulseaudio.

Why don't you drop that and use alsa directly?

vmjl

Felipe Contreras

Feb 6, 2012, 4:03:35 PM2/6/12
to Víctor M. Jáquez L., Karl Lattimer, gst-dsp
2012/2/6 Víctor M. Jáquez L. <vja...@igalia.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:16:13AM -0800, Karl Lattimer wrote:
>>
>> root@omap:/home/ubuntu# gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///home/ubuntu/
>> big_buck_bunny_480p_surround-fix.avi
>> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>> Cannot connect to server socket
>> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>
> I don't know anything about jackd, but it seems that the jack daemon isn't
> running.

My guess is that alsasink fails first, and then jacksink is tried,
which also fails.

--
Felipe Contreras

Karl Lattimer

Feb 8, 2012, 7:26:47 PM2/8/12
to Felipe Contreras, Víctor M. Jáquez L., gst-dsp
Alsa seems to work as I finally got it running. Thing is I need jackd running for sound to work it seems... Not ideal, also it isn't particularly reliable, but I guess I should expect that with a newer kernel.

Thanks anyway,

K,

Felipe Contreras

Feb 9, 2012, 3:06:31 AM2/9/12
to Karl Lattimer, Víctor M. Jáquez L., gst-dsp
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Karl Lattimer <ka...@qdh.org.uk> wrote:
> Alsa seems to work as I finally got it running. Thing is I need jackd running for sound to work it seems... Not ideal, also it isn't particularly reliable, but I guess I should expect that with a newer kernel.

I don't think you need jackd. You probably should use alsasink and try
to figure out what broke it.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras