Ideal way to convert our payments with least cost ?

Suranga Kasthurirathne

May 26, 2011, 9:19:11 AM5/26/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

This is my first mail to the list, so to introduce myself, i'm Suranga from IIT, and my Gsoc project is for OpenMRS.

I would like to know if anyone can suggest the cheapest way to get our payments converted from that card they send us.

I know that there are many schemes ( as suggested by the gsoc mailing list) but wonder if anyone can suggest the ideal solution for sri lankans

--
Best Regards,

Suranga

Nirmal Fernando

May 26, 2011, 10:10:10 AM5/26/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Suranga,

We experimented several ways last time. Here are some tips!

* First call 001-866-326-8689 and get increase your limit per day for ATM withdrawals. This will help later cause you can get money out of Citi quickly (which is adviced).

* Citi ATM not allow more than 50k per transaction (as I remember), HNB allows maximum of 80k per transaction (this is what I used last time).

@Others: Please share your experiences as well!

Hope this helps!

--
Best Regards,

Suranga

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Faculty of Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

Nirmal Fernando

May 26, 2011, 10:13:33 AM5/26/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention, you can use gtalk to call these numbers.

PS: The phone number given to non-US students to set up a pin is not working. So call the phone number for US students and set up your pin.

Suranga Kasthurirathne

May 28, 2011, 5:30:22 PM5/28/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nirmal,

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative reply. I meant to get back earlier, but forgot all about it after I got my gsoc goodies :)

--
Best Regards,

Suranga

Lahiru Samarakoon

May 29, 2011, 12:16:20 AM5/29/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Guys we can use a city ATM too :). I guess charges will be lower, but not sure about that.

http://www.citi.com/citi/global/lka.htm

Udesh Liyanaarachchi

May 31, 2011, 12:25:03 PM5/31/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
After increasing the credit limit of prepaid card the maximum amount you can withdraw will be around Rs. 54300.00 through HNB ATM..
Please aware that there will be slight changes as daily exchange rate is changing..

Udesh Liyanaarachchi
B.sc. Eng (Undergraduate)

University Of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka.

Udesh Liyanaarachchi

May 31, 2011, 12:29:02 PM5/31/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com

I mean at the moment we have  only $ 505 in our citi prepaid. So the above value is the approximate value you can withdraw to one transaction.

Hope this will help you..

Lahiru Samarakoon

May 31, 2011, 1:00:43 PM5/31/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
But, there is a 3% currency conversion fee. Did you take that into account? Did you able to retrieve the mentioned amount?

Udesh Liyanaarachchi

May 31, 2011, 1:09:43 PM5/31/11
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
i was able to withdraw Rs. 54000.00 , and just now my balance was showed $ 3.48

ishara premadasa

May 21, 2012, 11:12:05 AM5/21/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for updating an old thread. But hope this will be useful to all srilankan gsoc students.

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Nirmal Fernando <nirmal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Suranga,

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne <suran...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

This is my first mail to the list, so to introduce myself, i'm Suranga from IIT, and my Gsoc project is for OpenMRS.

I would like to know if anyone can suggest the cheapest way to get our payments converted from that card they send us.

I know that there are many schemes ( as suggested by the gsoc mailing list) but wonder if anyone can suggest the ideal solution for sri lankans

We experimented several ways last time. Here are some tips!

* First call 001-866-326-8689 and get increase your limit per day for ATM withdrawals. This will help later cause you can get money out of Citi quickly (which is adviced).

I tired to call this Citi customer care and increase the daily limit today and failed two times. If you just call and ask to increase the limit they wont do it. When they ask what is the reason explain that we received this card from google to get price money and google representatives has asked us to increase the daily limit to 1000USD.
Then they asked me why 400 is not enough per day etc. explain those and then they will set it. I  just thought to share it here as someone else might also meet this problem.

* Citi ATM not allow more than 50k per transaction (as I remember), HNB allows maximum of 80k per transaction (this is what I used last time).

@Others: Please share your experiences as well!

Hope this helps!

--
Best Regards,

Suranga

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Faculty of Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

--
Best Regards.

Ishara Premadasa,
Final Year Undergraduate,
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering,
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka.

Nirmal Fernando

May 21, 2012, 11:31:08 AM5/21/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM, ishara premadasa <idpre...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

In our case they just increased.. :)

[...]

Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Software Engineer,