Interested in GSOC

Soujanya 9823

Nov 16, 2020, 11:29:08 PM11/16/20
to gsoc-srilanka
Hi,
I am from University of Moratuwa and I am interested in participating in GSOC. I am very new to this. Can anyone assist me?
Regards,
Soujanya

Shazin Sadakath

Nov 22, 2020, 12:46:46 AM11/22/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Soujanya,

It is nice to hear that you are interested in GSoC 2021. I have attached the Introduction to GSoC 2021 PDF which I derived from a previous email from Pradeeban Kathiravelu.

Also following are some of my thoughts which I shared with another student who was also interested in GSoC. I believe it will help you too.

  1. You need to find an Open Source project that interests you and you are passionate about.
  2. You need to find a Tech Stack you are comfortable with or are willing to learn.
  3. Once you do the above two you can join that Open Source project's developer mailing list, introduce yourself and start communicating which is key (Join IRC channels, Slack, etc. as well).
  4. Checkout the Open Source code base and go through their coding conventions/standards page and familiarize yourself.
  5. Look for that Open source project's Introductory Tickets or Small issues/enhancements which you can do and submit for review. This will familiarize yourself with project members, the tech stack and domain.
  6. Basically you need to start contributing to Open source projects even before you get into GSoC which is one of the goals of this.
  7. Once the Open source projects announce their projects and mentors for GSoC 2021, you need to go through the requirements and find one that interests you.
  8. Then you need to build your project proposal which should contain an Abstract, Problem Statement, Project Plan, Wireframes, Detailed Changes (better if you can go down to the class, method level changes you will be doing), etc. which you are expecting to do. You can refer to my proposal as a baseline and work on it and improve https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Refine+Module+Administration+Project. You can contact mentors via developer mailing list or any other means and ask questions to further clarify things to refine your project proposal.
  9. Stay in touch with the team members of the Open source project throughout, do work for them etc. throughout the timeline of the GSoC.
  10. Most importantly make friends, learn and continue contributing to Open source whether you get selected or not for GSoC. This will help you in the long run.
This is not a totally exhaustive set of instructions and can be modified/updated by other people's views and opinions.

Regards,
Shazin

Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gsoc-srilanka" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-srilanka/bef02b7c-b28b-4af6-b79b-31e06a8dc704n%40googlegroups.com.
GSoC2021.pdf

Soujanya 9823

Nov 22, 2020, 2:48:51 AM11/22/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much sir.

Undergraduate,
Department of Computer Science Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

Udayanga Wickramasinghe

Nov 22, 2020, 4:40:25 AM11/22/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Soujanya,

I echo the sentiments and advice expressed here.

As a past mentor and also a student who participated in GSOC, I would say the most important part is to interact consistently and as much as possible with the open-source community of your desired project; before even proposal work has started. Especially, it would be beneficial to get to know your mentor; select a mentor wisely who has had experience in prior GSOC(s) or was a long-standing active member of the project. Once you prepare the skeleton of the proposal discuss rigorously with your mentor any avenues to enhance your proposal such that you will have a better chance of getting it accepted (this could be in terms of the general timeline and action items of the tasks, design details, and also any contingencies if you had more time at hand or lack of). Good luck!

Best,
Udayanga

--
Udayanga Wickramasinghe, Ph.D