Pay extra attention before you comment on publicly.

Sagara Gunathunga

May 29, 2012, 2:50:28 AM5/29/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com

Folks,

Please make sure you don't write any thing irrelevant or conclusion unless you really have acceptable proofs with you when you write to a public list representing  some kind of a entity. Specially when you wearing a Mentor or Admin hat you need to ensure that you are not writing some facts which only live within your head. If those fact relevant for a particular organization you have a great chance to discuss within your organizational level before you comment on ultimate public lists, if those facts relevant for a country you can discuss them within a country specific list like this before you go further. IMHO this process provides enough judgment about your thoughts.

Another discipline we need to consider is *never ever use stereotypes "
such as North American, South Asian , country X, country Y students etc. It's more than clear to everyone those stereotypes do not required for GSoC context. May be those details are relevant for Google when they distribute packages but those are clearly out of scope when considering student selection and evaluation etc.

Reading some mails on mentors-list@ i felt to write this message to you guys. Year by year we got lot of opportunities in GSoC and as Sri Lankan ( I use this stereotype because this list seems LK specific and meant to discuss LK related matters :)  ) we always had great recognition  within GSoC. We all have equal responsibility to ensure same opportunity will available for our future generation too .

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Kathiravelu Pradeeban

May 29, 2012, 2:57:49 AM5/29/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com, Sagara Gunathunga
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Sagara Gunathunga
<sagara.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Please make sure you don't write any thing irrelevant or conclusion unless
> you really have acceptable proofs with you when you write to a public list
> representing  some kind of a entity. Specially when you wearing a Mentor or
> Admin hat you need to ensure that you are not writing some facts which only
> live within your head. If those fact relevant for a particular organization
> you have a great chance to discuss within your organizational level before
> you comment on ultimate public lists, if those facts relevant for a country
> you can discuss them within a country specific list like this before you go
> further. IMHO this process provides enough judgment about your thoughts.
>

> Another discipline we need to consider is *never ever use stereotypes " such
> as North American, South Asian , country X, country Y students etc. It's
> more than clear to everyone those stereotypes do not required for GSoC
> context. May be those details are relevant for Google when they distribute
> packages but those are clearly out of scope when considering student
> selection and evaluation etc.
>
> Reading some mails on mentors-list@ i felt to write this message to you
> guys. Year by year we got lot of opportunities in GSoC and as Sri Lankan ( I
> use this stereotype because this list seems LK specific and meant to discuss
> LK related matters :)  ) we always had great recognition  within GSoC. We
> all have equal responsibility to ensure same opportunity will available for
> our future generation too .

Well said. I completely agree with Sagara.

As we always project, this is a summer of love, and not just coding.
We have to ensure that in our messages, and keep the FOSS culture
strong, for our future students and contributors.

Regards,
Pradeeban.

> Thanks !
>

> --
> Sagara Gunathunga
>
> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/
>
> --
> Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

Kathiravelu Pradeeban.
Blog: [Llovizna] http://kkpradeeban.blogspot.com/

Harshana Eranga Martin

May 29, 2012, 2:59:25 AM5/29/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 29 May 2012 12:20, Sagara Gunathunga <sagara.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Well said Sagara!!

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana Martin

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

Harshana Eranga Martin
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2 Inc.
           http://wso2.org

Kasun Gajasinghe

May 29, 2012, 3:04:18 AM5/29/12
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Harshana Eranga Martin <harsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes, the simple things we say in a public list with a wider audience could lead to disastrous consequences! Well said Sagara.

--Kasun

--
Kasun Gajasinghe,