Checking if the group still active

Rashmika

Mar 18, 2020, 12:37:39 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-srilanka
Hey, is the group still active?

Pradeeban Kathiravelu

Mar 18, 2020, 12:44:31 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, the group is not dead. Interestingly, every year we get one single email asking whether the group is active. But then, no other emails at all, even from the sender who asks whether the group is active. :)

Do you have any questions to ask? Feel free to ask.

In a way, the lack of messages in this group recently also shows that our students have started to use the main/official GSoC mailing list. When we created this google group a decade ago, the situation was entirely different. We had a real need for this group.
active.png

Regards,
Pradeeban.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:37 AM Rashmika <slinfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, is the group still active?

Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gsoc-srilanka" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-srilanka/a224935a-87a9-4a99-88c3-7a4bc349cb64%40googlegroups.com.

--
Pradeeban Kathiravelu, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher,

Blog: [Llovizna] kkpradeeban.blogspot.com
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/kpradeeban

Rashmika

Mar 18, 2020, 7:38:48 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-srilanka
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your quick reply. This is my first time applying for GSOC and i have a question. When submitting a proposal, if the organization has mentioned the current projects they have How to write a proposal? what should be included? I am sorry if the question is stupid.

thank you

Pradeeban Kathiravelu

Mar 18, 2020, 7:47:39 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rashmika,
The list of project ideas indicates a few projects that the organization is willing to mentor. It is always best to choose one from those ideas and write your proposal on them.

There is only one thing working against you this year. That is time. Usually, the best students start interacting with the mentors early on. The deadline for the proposal is March 31 18:00 UTC. So in theory, you still have time. But I would recommend starting as early as mid-January, latest by mid-February (when the organizations are announced).

I made an introductory presentation to GSoC - https://kkpradeeban.blogspot.com/2019/12/google-summer-of-code-gsoc-2020.html I hope that helps if you decide to apply for GSoC this year.

Good luck!

Regards,
Pradeeban.

.

Google Summer of Code - Sri Lankan Community

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gsoc-srilanka" group.

Rashmika

Mar 18, 2020, 7:53:15 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-srilanka
Oh sir I did not know about that i thought that we should wait till the application period is opened. If you can please tell me how to write a proposal on listed projects by organization?
and if i will not be selected i should apply 2021 GSOC and find a mentor in january at least?

Chamila Wijayarathna

Mar 18, 2020, 7:55:17 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rashmika,

Here is a link to an article I wrote a few years ago. Some stuff may be outdated, but this should help you to get a basic idea and would help you get started.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-srilanka/5e292ef3-b261-4935-98cb-bea6f6b6179a%40googlegroups.com.

--
Chamila Dilshan Wijayarathna,
PhD Research Student

Pradeeban Kathiravelu

Mar 18, 2020, 7:58:55 AM3/18/20
to gsoc-s...@googlegroups.com
You can contact the organization and share your interest. There are no strict rules on when you *must* contact the mentors. Every organization has its own preference. But it is best to contact the organization at least when the list of organizations is published.

I believe the links Chamila and I shared give you should give you some understanding and answer several of your other questions on how to write a proposal and how to contact the mentors. Please go through them.

Regards,
Pradeeban.