Proposal evaluation

J C Nash

Apr 14, 2021, 11:58:23 AM4/14/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Mentors: I've had a quick look at each proposal and submitted a very short comment on each to
provide a preliminary categorization of them. From my time as org-admin with Claudia Beleites,
I know how difficult it can be to get a fair overview of the projects, since none of us have
sufficient breadth of expertise to be able to fully appreciate all of them. In some cases
I've asked the mentors to give some guidance to the rest of us, but we can all benefit from
well-considered input so we recommend a set of projects that will proceed to useful and
successful completion.

I urge you all to take a look at the proposals as soon as possible.

Best, John Nash

Rick Pack

Apr 14, 2021, 2:27:31 PM4/14/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for such a thorough and quick start of the proposal review, John Nash.

I emailed Toby and Brian earlier but I hope it’s okay to ask the group if someone can alter my access so I can access the proposals? I get a 403 error. You will see my name and email address under mentors for these two R-GSoC projects:

Thank you for your help.
Rick Pack (co-mentor with Ben Ubah)

Toby Hocking

Apr 14, 2021, 4:33:06 PM4/14/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick I invited you as mentor. Does that work for you after you accept the invite?

Rick Pack

Apr 14, 2021, 4:52:26 PM4/14/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Success. Thank you, Toby. And now since all have been emailed, a reminder to please consider John Nash’s email from earlier in which he indicated he helpfully provided comments for every proposal and also advised early review by all of us.

I look forward to the ongoing conversation about the proposals.

-Rick Pack

Lluís Revilla

Apr 15, 2021, 6:24:55 AM4/15/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's my first time as a mentor of GSoC and I don't know the customs to select the students.
I provided some comments on the proposal for my project.
I checked almost all proposals of the other students, what kind of feedback will be more useful?

There are two projects using rtweet: R Conference Events Explorer and R Community Explorer: Twitter.
I have become the maintainer of rtweet and I'm planning a major breaking release by the end of this year.
You might want to plan accordingly or use the unstable development version on github for the project.

Cheers,

Lluís

Rick Pack

Apr 15, 2021, 7:08:49 AM4/15/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lluís, given how early we are in the process and the number of proposals, I believe any comments or questions would be helpful. Such contributes towards a conversation that will ultimately help us focus more review time on a smaller number of proposals. I’m first most interested in whether the proposal met all of the R-GSoC requirements and then Google’s GSoC requirements.

I’m also curious to see whether others detect in the proposal a commitment to staying involved after GSoC ends.
*
Thank you for taking the maintainer role for rtweet! Co-mentor Ben Ubah and I will monitor rtweet’s dev on GitHub and may  adjust R-GSoC work on our two rtweet-using projects. We appreciate the warning.

Rick Pack