results column update?

Toby Hocking

Sep 10, 2020, 1:10:09 PM9/10/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi students,
Thanks for all your hard work during GSOC-R this summer. I hope you learned a lot and will continue to participate in free/open-source software development.
Can you please update the results column on https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2020/wiki/table-of-proposed-coding-projects with links to your code/blog/commits/etc that shows what you worked on during GSOC? That is very helpful for us R-GSOC admins.
Thanks to the three students who have already done that.
Toby

Tal Galili

Sep 12, 2020, 4:15:51 AM9/12/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I see the great work done here:
Thanks Toby and others for your work organizing all of this!

I'd like to invite you all to promote your work to the R community through R-bloggers.com (an R new hub with tens of thousands of readers).

If you have a blog with regular content, feel free to submit it here:
If you have only a one-time post on your work, you can submit it here:
And get it posted to r-bloggers that way.

Cheers,
Tal

Toby Hocking

Sep 14, 2020, 2:27:54 PM9/14/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tal thanks for the invitation. Maybe one of the new admins could write a blog about their first year as admin, with a summary of results, and an invitation to post new projects for next year on https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2021/wiki/table%20of%20proposed%20coding%20projects ? Vijay, Narayani, Vivek?

Vijay Barve

Sep 14, 2020, 10:10:45 PM9/14/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tal and Toby, I am happy to put together a blog entry about this year's GCoC participation. If any mentors have any anecdotes to add, please send them my way.  Regards, Vijay

--
---
Vijay Barve

Tal Galili

Sep 15, 2020, 12:57:01 AM9/15/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com

Justin Shea

Sep 15, 2020, 2:06:52 AM9/15/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Along the lines of summarizing our work and planning for next year, the Chicago R User Group would like to invite you all to participate in a Google Summer of Code themed virtual meetup!

All GSoC-R project participants who would like to be part of this are most welcome! We'd likely target the last week of September or the first week of October. Depending on level of interest and how many groups are present, we would likely do a series of 15-20 minute presentations or "lightning talks" of 5-6 minute duration. We've had excellent lightning talk inspired meetups, so we have some experience managing this approach without it descending into utter chaos. :) The lightning talks are typically a big hit for the sheer range of topics covered in one event. It could also help Vijay's efforts to chronical GSoC-R 2020, as he can hear from the authors themselves all in one spot.

Speaking with GSoC-R administrator Brian Peterson about this, we thought this would be a good opportunity for student/mentor teams to share their work. We may also learn from, and inspire each other as we get to know more about our fellow mentor/mentee teams, and what they accomplished. In addition, the event could also serve to raise awareness of the broader GSoC-R program, and pave the way for increased participation among mentors and students alike ifor GSoC-2021. As the event will be hosted on Zoom, we will not be confined to the physical constraints of our geography and can invite people far and wide to attend. Students may even want to invite friends and family who've wondered what they've been working on these past three months. And for those who are not familiar with GSoC and may be interested in participating as mentors or students in 2021, this event can serve as a good introduction. Speaking from my own personal experience on a number of projects related to recruiting students and R users, my general rule is, you can never start getting the word out too early!

So, we would love for you to participate in the Chicago R User Group's GSoC-R 2020 virtual meetup. GSoC student Vito Lestingi will be sharing our work together on the ExpectedReturns project. If you're interested in participating and being part of this, please respond here and reach out to myself and fellow CRUG co-organizers, Troy Hernandez <troy.hern...@gmail.com> and Parfait Gasana <parfait...@gmail.com> if interested.
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to reach out.

With gratitude for your consideration,

Justin