RE: viable, working location for the updated, post-2006 software?

Kimberly Hitchens

May 17, 2015, 4:56:29 PM5/17/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

I have version 1.06, rev. 251.  I wanted to update the software (rather than using Screaming Frog, which I find needlessly complicated) and NONE of the URL's work.  Not the ones posted here, and none of the originals.

Anyone know where a working copy can be found?  (Yes:  I've tried them all.  I either get 404s or some type of other error, about "user login failed."

TIA.

webado

May 17, 2015, 5:15:36 PM5/17/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com, bookn...@gmail.com
Hmm, I see your problems. I will inquire as to what's wrong.

Both sites being down in different ways is upsetting.

Kimberly Hitchens

May 18, 2015, 3:14:17 AM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com, bookn...@gmail.com
Thank you!  I've been using GSite for a LOT of years now--honestly, I think over 15 (is that even possible?), and I'd really like to have the most up-to-date for my big site migration coming up (a boatload of 301's have to be written, so I need competent URL lists).

Thanks.

webado

May 18, 2015, 8:41:40 AM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the main site appears to have some issues and the other one's been taken down.
The latest version is 1.23 however, so if that's what you have that is the latest.

For a simple text listing of all page urls  you can also use  Xenu Link Sleuth. Xenu does not obey robots.txt directives, it's main purpose being to find broken links.
Christina

Kimberly Hitchens

May 18, 2015, 2:28:58 PM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't.  I have V1.06, rev. 251.

I believe I've tried Xenu, and for some reason, wasn't happy with it.  I also have Screaming Frog (the paid version) ditto. Here's what's freeaking me out right now:  when I run GS over my new, not-yet-live Joomla site, I'm getting a lot of EXTREMELY hinky URL's.  I'm getting URLS that seem to be the url for one page, "combined" (for lack of a better word) with another category's id + article. The link works, but it shouldn't exist.  It's not only happening once.  I had to stop the crawler, go back, write a BUNCH of exceptions, because the more the Crawler crawled, the more URL's were "waiting."  A crapload of "search" urls, it seems, due to one module (Alexandria Book Library). But I'm also getting url's that make NO sense, at all.  As I said, a complete URL from page x, with the category ID and article ID of another category's article, appended--and the URL works. These shouldn't exist, and I can't figure out if the Crawler is--somehow--creating these on the fly, or if something is horribly awry with my Joomla install.  Everything seems to be working perfectly (not counting the slider--it breaks whenever I move it from one dir to another, so for the moment, it's left blank).  I was trying to create these lists so I could try to start writing my 3,000+ redirects (oh, joy!), as the paths are not remotely the same...and now I'm faced with all these URL's that I can't figure out, that shouldn't exist...and I have NO idea what to do about them, in terms of the redirects, EITHER.  (Not to mention, the whole crawl looks like it would be just shy of 30,000 URLs, instead of the 32-3500 it ought to be, so...that's not cheering me up, either).

Open to other ideas?  I take it that this means that GSiteCrawler is now just not attainable?  I've used this for so long I simply trust it.

Thanks.

webado

May 18, 2015, 3:20:15 PM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I'd say it your Joomla install that's screwy. Even the older GSC version wouldn't have do that. Xenu is perfect for finding where the snags are though.
It doesn't invent urls either, it crawls what it finds.

I'm waiting for a response from the creator of GSC. I have a zipped copy of the last version myself but if I upload it to my site, when using Chrome to download it seems to block it or at least complain about it so I'd rather not provide it for you at this time. I know it's clean and safe, but Chrome is stubborn.
Christina

Kimberly Hitchens

May 18, 2015, 7:32:39 PM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Well, the Joomla CMS is certainly different than what I've done previously, from scratch, or by using EE.  I concur, that there is something very oddball with the URL's.  They all work, mind you, no matter how peculiar they are, but...Joomla is basically a framework, upon which sits atop it a bunch of various and sundry components, each from different developers.  How the HELL this is happening is utterly boggling to me.  I'll check Xenu--but GSC shouldn't have "made up" URL's, not in my experience.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about Chrome. I have a small program that is written for me, by a developer in Holland,  He puts it on his website for me to download, and Chrome goes nuts.  Exasperating, isn't it?  Say hi to Johannes for me, if he remembers me--I was a way-way-way-back early adopter!  (I am sure he won't, but just in case...)

Thanks mucho!

webado

May 18, 2015, 8:16:55 PM5/18/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I'll convey your messages to Johannes.

GSC like Xenu will not invent urls - but if it finds them, it will pick them up.
Often it's a malformed url like /../../stuff which the browser can interpret but not any robot.

If you want my version you are welcome to it if you can cut through Chrome's reluctance.
Let me know.
Christina

Kimberly Hitchens

May 19, 2015, 1:42:21 PM5/19/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Christina thanks.

If you have a dropbox, or GBox (Google Drive), or anything like that, I can probably cut through, thanks.

Hitch

webado

May 19, 2015, 9:13:12 PM5/19/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I sent you a private email (I hope).
Christina

Persuasion

May 20, 2015, 4:32:55 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I sent you several emails and a Dropbox link. Perhaps check your junk folder. If you don't need it, I'll remove the link.

Kimberly Hitchens

May 20, 2015, 4:58:36 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I'll check my email, thank you.  I only use my gmail address for G+ and groups, so I don't normally check it, like "real" email.  I appreciate it, I'll go now.

Hitch

Kimberly Hitchens

May 20, 2015, 5:07:31 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

I've downloaded the file(s), thank you kindly. Webado, as I have the older installed, do I run the sql-update?  As opposed to the full?  That seems right to me, but thought I'd ask.

Hitch

Persuasion

May 20, 2015, 7:19:00 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Glad I could help. I'd hate to see us lose these older programs that I learned on, like Xenu and GSiteCrawler. Not quite DOS but sadly almost abandonware.

webado

May 20, 2015, 8:47:36 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
OK you need to install to a new location and bring over the other files (the databases).
At least that's how I've done it.
Christina

Sly

May 20, 2015, 8:57:31 PM5/20/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christina,

Can you post GSC anywhere or send it to my email?

Thank you, Sly

webado

May 23, 2015, 11:04:15 AM5/23/15
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com, miladin...@gmail.com
The original gsitecrawler.com website  has been brought back to life and the download links are all usable again.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted