Just downloaded and tried to create the sitemap, but it won't crawl

Cassie Pauline

Apr 3, 2019, 6:31:22 PM4/3/19
to SOFTplus GSiteCrawler
Hi,

I'm on a Windows 10 and just tried creating the sitemap by following your steps online:

Every time I click the CRAWL button, it will have a pop window stating that it'll crawl (and post to the ftp server, if I selected to do so) and within 10 second, this small window closes and it just sits on the "Crawler-Watch" window. Nothing shows up on the  Crawler 1, Crawler 2, etc...

What am I doing wrong?

Please help.
Cassie

webado

Apr 3, 2019, 6:36:55 PM4/3/19
to SOFTplus GSiteCrawler
You need to install all the .exe programs as administrator of your Windows 10 installation and also run them as administrator (may be called compatibility mode).
It's basically the same as for Windows 7.

Also you need to add your project url such that there's no redirection involved from the homepage.
Your website also must not block the crawlers.

cassie.PFM

Apr 3, 2019, 7:15:51 PM4/3/19
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response.

I just installed the app. I didn't know you can click on any install options as in selecting the .exe programs.

I do have a "redirect" code on my main page to basically go to our "mobile.html" page if the screen size is smaller than 699. You are saying that your app does not operate if I have any "redirects?"

Thank you,
Cassie

webado

Apr 3, 2019, 7:30:25 PM4/3/19
to SOFTplus GSiteCrawler
First of all install the package using an administrator account.
The find the .exe programs and right click them and use the option to run ad administrator, using compatibility mode if offered.

The always run from the administrator account.

As for the redirection when the screen size is less than 699, it's likely a robot does not have any screen size as such. Is your detection of screen size done by javascript and the redirection also by javascript? GsiteCrawler is not a javascript enabled robot so in theory it wouldn't be affected by this, unless your redirection si performed server-side based on an unavailable screen dimension.

I was also referring to redirection from non-www to www, or from http to https or from / to an inner url like, say, /home or similar.

Maybe if you provide your website url I can see better what's going on. Use a shortener like bit.ly if you don't want your url to be readily visible to robots in this forum. Also please advise if it's an adult site.

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 6:31:22 PM UTC-4, Cassie Pauline wrote:
Hi,

I'm on a Windows 10 and just tried creating the sitemap by following your steps online:

Every time I click the CRAWL button, it will have a pop window stating that it'll crawl (and post to the ftp server, if I selected to do so) and within 10 second, this small window closes and it just sits on the "Crawler-Watch" window. Nothing shows up on the  Crawler 1, Crawler 2, etc...

What am I doing wrong?

Please help.
Cassie

cassie.PFM

Apr 3, 2019, 8:09:39 PM4/3/19
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our website is: (not an adult site)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cassie

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/gsitecrawler.

cassie.PFM

Apr 3, 2019, 8:18:00 PM4/3/19
to gsitec...@googlegroups.com
I read on the app download site that it can read Javascript.

I'm using Dreamweaver so yes, it's Javascript.

The redirect is in the code.

I found the redirect code online here:

So anyone that views our website with a screen size smaller than 699 pxls wide, the redirect goes to our mobile-friendly version.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 4:30 PM webado <web...@gmail.com> wrote:

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/gsitecrawler.

webado

Apr 3, 2019, 8:55:54 PM4/3/19
to SOFTplus GSiteCrawler
It may read javascript code but it will not execute it. Googlebot can do that, not GSiteCrawler.

I was able to crawl your site on Windows 7.  I don't have W10 on any device so I cannot test that.

Capture.JPG

I notice your site responds the same way (with server return code 200) for both http://www.partyfacemagic.com/ and http://partyfacemagic.com/ . You need to decide which variant you want to use and enforce it with 301 redirection from the variant you don't want, to the one you want and then only create a sitemap for your preferred variant. See this tutorial:

As for your javascript redirection for mobile devices with a screen width less than 699 pixels, I'm not seeing it with either http://quirktools.com/screenfly/ or by using the Chrome inspection tool. So I wonder if Googlebot sees that either as an acceptable form of presenting a mobile friendly version. I'd say perhaps not. You need to use some meta tags to correlate the desktop version with the mobile version, page by page.

There are 2 ways to handle this: as a responsive layout using media queries where the css is varied for different screen sizes but the html remains the same, or by having a different url for the mobile version (usually as a subdomain)  with an automatic switch provided in a Vary header.

I also noticed that the navigation from your mobile.html page links to  urls on a weebly account.  This won't sit well with Google and won't be associated with your website necessarily. It will appear to be duplicate content across 2 different properties, one on your domain, the other on a weebly url.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/gsitecrawler.