GDWG Webmeeting

Manik Bali - NOAA

Sep 3, 2023, 11:30:08 PM9/3/23
to GSICS Development
Dear Friends,

One 5 September 2023 we have a webmeeting to discuss the inclusion of GSICS Data into the WMO WIS system which is expected to replace the existing GTS system of data dissemination and is extensively used by Meteorological data users.

GSICS has 72 inter-calibration products and it would be a crucial meeting to decide on outreach of GSICS data into the next generation of data dissemination systems.

Please find the invitation below.
Rgds
Manik Bali/Kamaljit Ray

Manik Bali is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: GSICS Data on WIS and Beyond
Time: Sep 5, 2023 07:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://umd.zoom.us/j/9710904060?pwd=NEJxWVZ1ZzBRei9DOFZ1YXljaFVUdz09

Meeting ID: 971 090 4060
Passcode: 916141

---

One tap mobile
+13017158592,,9710904060# US (Washington DC)
+13052241968,,9710904060# US

Shobha Kondragunta - NOAA Federal

Sep 4, 2023, 9:51:20 AM9/4/23
to gsic...@googlegroups.com, Lawrence E Flynn - NOAA Federal
Sorry Manik, I have to miss the meeting.  Too many conflicts this week.

Shobha

Shobha Kondragunta, Ph.D
Lead, Aerosols and Atmospheric Composition Science Team
Product Lead, GeoXO Atmospheric Composition Instrument
Suite 3250 5825 University Research Ct.
College Park, MD 20742
301-683-2565

Manik Bali - NOAA

Sep 4, 2023, 3:12:38 PM9/4/23
to GSICS Development
Dear Friends,

We have a meeting page for this GDWG webmeeting   http://gsics.atmos.umd.edu/bin/view/Development/Gdwgweb932023 .

While the initial goal of the meeting is to learn from Simon about the WIS systema and if GSICS products can contribute to this futuristic systme,  Paolo Castracane from ESA, would talk about the ESA Overpass tool https://evdc.esa.int/orbit/ . This tool can directly help the GSICS community in
  • Search for overpasses by satellite/instrument, as well as for joint overpasses between two satellites
  • Download overpass data as CSV, KML o JSON
  • Plan campaigns for satellites which have yet to launch by defining virtual satellites
Research working group suggestions would be vital to carry our products forward into the next generation dissemination system.
Looking forward
Manik/Kamalji

Also

On Sunday, September 3, 2023, 'Manik Bali - NOAA' via GSICS Development <gsic...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Manik Bali - NOAA

Sep 5, 2023, 11:13:27 PM9/5/23
to GSICS Development
Dear All,
Thank you for participating in today's GDWG Web meeting. I present here a brief summary.

 Simon introduced us to the next-generation data dissemination system the WIS 2.0. Members were impressed by the  WIS 2.0 system, particularly by the easy pathways by which GSICS  Data could be included in the WIS 2.0 system. As a next step, GDWG would take the discussion to the producers of the GSICS products and take their views on how to move forward.

Paolo introduced us to an Overpass tool developed at ESA that can identify collocated pixels using a menu-driven selection.  This tool can be very useful to the GSICS community as we rely on collocations to monitor satellites. We discussed if the tool can accessed via an API and collocations could be imported into a code ( such as a Python code). GRWG suggestions are welcome to utilize this tool.

Finally, Tian Lin from CMA presented updates on the CMA activities on GSICS . CMA has done a massive amount of reprocessing ( some of which uses GSICS algorithms) and have even adopted the Unified Data Policy ( from WMO). The new CMA GPRC website is worth a visit, it has live feed of GSICS activities as well.

I would post detailed minutes on the http://gsics.atmos.umd.edu/bin/view/Development/Gdwgweb932023   .

Thanks again for your contributin.
Manik Bali/ Kamaljit Ray