GSEA preranked with signed -log10 p value

Luca Sigalotti

Sep 9, 2021, 4:50:40 AM9/9/21
to gsea-help
Hi all. I am running a pre-ranked GSEA on a list of genes ranked according to signed -log10 p value. Data are derived from an RNAseq differential expression analysis performed with DESeq2.
The question is, am I correct in selecting weighted as the enrichment statistic?
Thank you for the help.
Best,
Luca

Anthony Castanza

Sep 9, 2021, 12:02:47 PM9/9/21
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Yes, weighted is generally the correct enrichment statistic to use.
Without weighting (for example, in classic mode) GSEA will just use the order of the gene list and the magnitude won't be considered at all.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD

Curator, Molecular Signatures Database

Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine

University of California, San Diego

Luca Sigalotti

Sep 9, 2021, 12:28:42 PM9/9/21
to gsea-help
Thanks,
Luca

Ramon Garcia Areas

Sep 12, 2021, 6:43:45 PM9/12/21
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Can weighted analyses be done on the GSEA website or can it only be done with the downloaded software?

Best,

Ramón

Anthony Castanza

Sep 12, 2021, 7:55:51 PM9/12/21
to gsea-help
The GSEA website only performs a simple hypergeometric "overlap statistic" test. The full weighted GSEA test is available through either the desktop application or through a module that can be run online through the (free) GenePattern.org cloud platform.