GSEA to discover mixed enriched terms

Maurits Unkel

May 16, 2024, 9:33:43 AMMay 16
to gsea-help
Hi,

Now, enriched terms are either up- or down regulated, likely because of the weighting in the running sum implementation. However, there must be terms with mixed enrichment, where some type of mixed activation/inhibition actually leads to very enriched terms, which is now missed through the implementation. I realise this is more in the domain of topology based algorithms, applied to terms which represent pathways, however, I'm hopeful we could get some additional information out of just the ranked expression list.

In order to find mixed enriched terms, I'm curious if it would be proper, and statistically viable, to make the expression values absolute before running GSEA?
Or would additional transformations like scaling/normalization be needed additionally?

Best,
Maus

Anthony Castanza

May 17, 2024, 4:18:01 PMMay 17
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maus,

Yes, the inability to detect perturbations in gene sets where there are distinct components that are regulated in opposite directions is a known limitation of the standard methods of GSEA. The GSEA desktop application does support an absolute value mode to help address this, it is under "Gene list sorting mode" in the Basic fields section. It computes the ranking metrics as you would normally, but then performs enrichment calculations on the basis of the absolute value of the ranking metric. I can't really vouch for it personally, but in theory it is a reasonable thing to do. That mode isn't supported for GSEA Preranked however.

Unfortunately I also can't really speak to additional normalizations, you might explore something like a z-score transform if you were to construct your own absolute value ranking for GSEA-preranked, but this isn't something we necessarily advise.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine
University of California, San Diego

Maurits Unkel

May 24, 2024, 9:35:50 AMMay 24
to gsea-help
Hi Anthony,

Where could I find the implementation code of the "Gene list sorting mode"? Or is it simply doing abs(expression values) and basically nothing else?
I'll take a look at z-score transform!

Thanks,
Maus

Anthony Castanza

May 24, 2024, 2:14:56 PMMay 24
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
note that the GSEA desktop application is in Java.
Based on a cursory review of these functions it does, in fact, appear to largely be a simple absolute performed after the basic ranking procedure.