Selection LogFC when collapsing with Abs max

최성수

Jun 7, 2024, 12:08:02 AMJun 7
to gsea-help
Hi,

I'm trying to Collapse with my data

I selected 'Abs_max_of_probes', but my data has same LogFC Abs value
like, '-0.0888/0.0888', '-0.271, 0.271'...

GSEA software selected positive values everytime, but I couldn't find the description about this.

Could you tell me the logic about this? and why only positive values were selected.

thank you.

Anthony Castanza

Jun 7, 2024, 3:34:57 PMJun 7
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Our official stance is that anything that results in tied values is a condition that we don't support or advise.
Unofficially, I suspect that what is happening here is that when parsing the ranked list in ABS_MAX mode the list is still indexed in descending order from largest to smallest (most negative)
so if you have
Gene_A_1 200
Gene_A_2 100
Gene_A_3 -200
the genes have index 1, 2, 3
So when doing abs_max, I think what is probably happening is that it is testing (abs(Gene_A_1), index 1) against (abs(Gene_A_3), index 3) the first part is tieing so it is then resolved by the index where the "first" index is being selected, which will cause the earliest positive occurrence of the tied mapping to be picked.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine