Human gene set labeling error for HSD17B8_TARGET_GENES?

Nelson Wong

May 9, 2024, 1:58:11 PMMay 9
to gsea-help
Hello,

I realized that the original study that contributed to the gene set HSD17B8_TARGET_GENES used an anti-RING2 antibody for the CHIP-seq. Unfortunately, both HSD17B8 and RNF2 were known as RING2 some point in time. However, HSD17B8 is, in fact, an enzyme that is involved in the production of estrogen, while RNF2 (RING1B or RING2) is a unit of the polycomb repressive complex. Therefore, I believe the gene set is actually RNF2-targeted genes.

I am wondering if your team is able to confirm and clarify. Thanks so much for your great work!

Kind regards,
Nelson

Anthony Castanza

May 9, 2024, 3:24:56 PMMay 9
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nelson,

Thanks for reaching out to us, yes, we are aware of this issue, it is the result of an upstream annotation error in the GTRD source data. We've been in contact with them about correcting this, as well as a similar error in the set annotated as IGLV5-37 (which should be SS18-SSX fusion).
You are correct that the proper annotation for the HSD17B8_TARGET_GENES set is RING2_TARGET_GENES as indicated in the source data set: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/query/acc.cgi?acc=GSM1295081

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine
University of California, San Diego

Nelson Wong

May 9, 2024, 11:32:02 PMMay 9
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply and clarification. Really appreciate your work.

Best,
Nelson

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "gsea-help" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsea-help/CAGCeyZxg2XzCjzd2ZX-zCmiA_fTstbscPgo1Okv%2B7-xxP0srdQ%40mail.gmail.com.