Transcription Factor Enrichment

Luís Eduardo Gonçalves

Aug 11, 2021, 8:52:08 PM8/11/21
to gsea-help
Hi Everyone!

Recently I ran enrichment analysis based on a gene of my interest for correlation analysis. I was thinking if I can run this analysis regarding the three TFTs readings available on GSEA. If it is possible, what is the correct permutation type for this analysis?

Thanks
Luis

Anthony Castanza

Aug 13, 2021, 1:46:15 AM8/13/21
to gsea-help
Hi Luis,

There are two Transcription factor target collections, c3.tft.gtrd.v7.4.symbols.gmt subcollection, and the c3.tft.tft_legacy.v7.4.symbols.gmt sub-collection, these both describe predicted targets of a given transcription factor as determined by different methodologies. They should generally be run individually and we recommend against using the combined " c3.tft.v7.4.symbols.gmt" collection. The difference in the methodologies is described on the gene set details page: http://www.gsea-msigdb.org/gsea/msigdb/collection_details.jsp#TFT
As to the correct permutation type, this is going to depend on the number of samples you have in your dataset, generally I would consider 7 total samples to be the minimum to run phenotype permutation in the correlation mode, the nature of the correlation calculation has an advantage over the per-phenotype mode in this sense which generally requires 7 per group. If you don't have this minimum number of samples I gene_set permutation would be advised.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine