Phenotype Labeling

AvnS

Jun 4, 2024, 12:14:13 PMJun 4
to gsea-help
I'm attempting to run a GSEA analysis on 9 samples (5 control, 4 mutant). I came upon the phenotype selection and chose the source file. However, I am given the option of either "CNTRL vs MUTNT" or "MUTNT VS CNTRL." What is the difference between the two options? I've attached a screenshot for further information.
Thank you in advance!Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 12.13.16 PM.png

Anthony Castanza

Jun 4, 2024, 5:47:41 PMJun 4
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avneesh,

The options there just set the direction of the comparison so if you what to do Mutant in the numerator of calculations or in the denominator. It effectively only impacts the sign of the scores. The traditional comparison is MUT vs. CTRL, so the things that are upregulated in the mutant have positive scores (enriched in mutant) and downregulated in the mutant have negative scores (enriched in control).

Let me know if you have any other questions or this still isn't clear

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine
University of California, San Diego

On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 9:14 AM AvnS <avneeshsar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm attempting to run a GSEA analysis on 9 samples (5 control, 4 mutant). I came upon the phenotype selection and chose the source file. However, I am given the option of either "CNTRL vs MUTNT" or "MUTNT VS CNTRL." What is the difference between the two options? I've attached a screenshot for further information.
Thank you in advance!Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 12.13.16 PM.png

AvneeshS

Jun 4, 2024, 7:55:29 PMJun 4
to gsea-help
Hey Anthony,
Thank you so much for the info! I have 2 more questions regarding the results of the Leading Edge Analysis.
1. What do the numbers resulting from LEA correlate to? Is it percentage increased/decreased?

2. Is there a way to search for specific genes within the results or organize them in another manner than shown in the heatmap? I've included a graph for reference.
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 7.54.44 PM.png

Anthony Castanza

Jun 5, 2024, 5:25:27 PMJun 5
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avneesh,

I believe that the value there is the ranking metric value for that specific gene.

The leading edge analysis results have an option to save the data underlying all the plots as tables that you should be able to do whatever you like with.