Can't upload the input file in GSEA-Preranked

shamima

Apr 22, 2022, 3:21:34 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
Hi all,

I am using GSEA-Preranked for my bulk RNA seq data. But I am not able to upload my ranked file under the “Ranked list” icon (attached).  I saved my ranked file as a .csv format (attached).
Kindly help me out to identify the possible cause that I am not able to upload my gene list. Also, please confirm me that my created file format is okay to use.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Best,
ShamimaGSEA_preranked_page.pngranked_file.png

Anthony Castanza

Apr 22, 2022, 3:45:34 PM4/22/22
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

GSEA does not support CSV, the data file should be saved as "Tab delimited text (.txt)"
Additionally, the "gene_symbol" cell should be changed to "# gene_symbol" (no quotes) so that it gets properly recognized as a header line.

Also, the Remap_only collapse mode is not recommended and will probably not work for Mouse datasets, we recommend the "Collapse" option due to multimappings that occur between the mouse and human genomes.

Let me know if you still have issues after saving as tab delimited text instead of csv.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD

Curator, Molecular Signatures Database

Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine

University of California, San Diego

shamima

Apr 22, 2022, 4:47:19 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
Hi Anthony,

Thank you so much for your reply.
Still "Ranked list" icon doesn't work to upload any file. Basically it doesn't show any thing when i click in here. Preranked_page.pnginput.png
I change my input file format as you recommended.

Thanks

Anthony Castanza

Apr 22, 2022, 4:57:55 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
Hello,

Did you make sure to remove the .txt file extension and replace it with .rnk? A file with the mixed .rnk.txt extension won't work and this sometimes occurs if your operating system is configured to hide known file extensions by default.

Once the file has just the .rnk extension you should be able to load it through the GSEA load data panel and then it should appear in the drop-down.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine
University of California, San Diego

shamima

Apr 22, 2022, 5:23:31 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help

Thank you Anthonyerror.png
Now it's working but i got an error and it says "The collapsed dataset was empty". Please see the attached.

Best regards,
Shamima

Anthony Castanza

Apr 22, 2022, 5:33:54 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
Oh, I missed this in your previous screenshots, you've selected the Mouse_Ensembl_Gene_ID chip but these are not Ensembl Gene IDs, these are Mouse Gene Symbols so you'll need to select the Mouse_Gene_Symbol_with_Remapping chip. Mouse Ensembl Gene IDs have the format ENSMUSG000012345

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD
Curator, Molecular Signatures Database
Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine
University of California, San Diego

shamima

Apr 22, 2022, 5:47:43 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
I got the results.
Thank you so much for your help.

Best,
Shamima

shamima

Apr 22, 2022, 6:24:07 PM4/22/22
to gsea-help
Hi Anthony,

I have attached the demo figure that i wanted to create for my current data. Kindly help me to figure out this kind of plot from GSEA results.

Thanks again for help
-Shamimaplot.png

Anthony Castanza

Apr 22, 2022, 7:18:43 PM4/22/22
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

This is not a plot that was produced by the GSEA software, it was likely produced manually from the result and input files

Sorry I couldn't be more help here

From: gsea...@googlegroups.com <gsea...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of shamima <shammi...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, April 22, 2022 at 12:21 PM
To: gsea-help <gsea...@googlegroups.com>

Hi all,

I am using GSEA-Preranked for my bulk RNA seq data. But I am not able to upload my ranked file under the “Ranked list” icon (attached).  I saved my ranked file as a .csv format (attached).
Kindly help me out to identify the possible cause that I am not able to upload my gene list. Also, please confirm me that my created file format is okay to use.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Best,

ShamimaImage removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

Anthony Castanza

Apr 25, 2022, 6:21:30 PM4/25/22
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

If the file isn't showing up in the dropdown, it likely has an incorrect file extension. The file extension should be just .rnk if it has an extra .txt after it, even one hidden by the operating system, it will not appear in the dropdown.