Low NES for high enrichment plots

Nupur

May 31, 2023, 11:29:24 AM5/31/23
to gsea-help
Hi,

I am doing a GSEA analysis for my RNA-Seq data.

I am getting high enrichments in the genesets, but somehow the NES values are low - about 1.5 ~.

The enrichment plot ES values are going upto 0.9 - 1.

Can you tell why the NES values are low ?

Thanks,
Nupur

Castanza, Anthony

May 31, 2023, 12:39:47 PM5/31/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nupur,

The NES value is calculated from the true enrichment score and the null distribution generated by the permutation test. A lower NES indicates that there are likely many values found in this null that are similar to the true enrichment score. This is also likely to impact the NOM pValue/significance statistics returned by the software. You can see a plot of the null distribution at the very bottom of the results page for each gene plotted gene set.

Let me know if you have any more questions

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD

Curator, Molecular Signatures Database

Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine