Genearating pre ranked gene list for GSEA

Manjunatha B K

May 25, 2023, 1:36:31 AM5/25/23
to gsea-help
I have used Deseq2 for my differential expression analysis and to rank the genes i have used log2FoldChange of all the genes which will fall below the p-value cutoff. I have arranged the genes in the Descending order on the basis of log2FoldChange value and used in GSEA. which method i should prefer, whether fold change * -log10 pvalue or stat column obtained in DeSeq2 or Log2FC alone .

Thank you.
Manjunath

Castanza, Anthony

May 25, 2023, 12:53:46 PM5/25/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Manjunath

You should include all genes, not just those that pass an arbitrary p-value cutoff. GSEA needs the information from the non-significantly differentially expressed genes when scoring the set and set nulls.

As to which metric specifically to use, I would lean towards using either the test statistic (i.e. wald) or the log2FC, but it is our policy not to provide an official recommendation for GSEA Preranked metric selection.

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD

Curator, Molecular Signatures Database

Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine