interpretation results

Tuba Uslu

May 24, 2023, 9:21:51 AM5/24/23
to gsea-help
Hello,

I can't understand the table: because when I look at the table I am told that the class is upregulated in the "vector" class, but in the graph it is the opposite (the curve decreases for "vector") . Please help me interpret my results. here is an example:

Thank you
Best,
Tuba ,

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Castanza, Anthony

May 24, 2023, 12:46:42 PM5/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

This is the expected presentation of these results. When you run GSEA it, internally, computes differential expression between your two classes (in this case 16e6 vs. vector), so genes that are more highly expressed in the 16e6 samples are positively differentially expressed and genes that are more highly expressed in the vector (i.e. low in 16e6) are negatively differentially expressed. So when GSEA calculates enrichments, gene sets that on balance contain positively differentially expressed (in 16e6) genes receive positive enrichment scores and are reported as enriched in the positive phenotype, gene sets that contain primarily negatively differentially expressed genes receive negative enrichment scores and are reported as enriched in the negative phenotype (i.e. vector). Does that make sense?

I would also note here that you appear to only have ~1600 genes in your data. GSEA generally expects the full information for all expressed genes. Highly restricted datasets such as this can provide unreliable results due to the nature of the internal gene universe filtering that GSEA performs. You’ll want to sure that a reasonable percentage of the original gene set is present in the expression file you’re providing. The  pre and post filtering statistics are reported in the gene_set_sizes.tsv file included in the GSEA results.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

-Anthony

Anthony S. Castanza, PhD

Curator, Molecular Signatures Database

Mesirov Lab, Department of Medicine

University of California, San Diego

Tuba Uslu

May 24, 2023, 12:54:08 PM5/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
so here our p53 signaling pathway is then upregulated in the "vector" phenotype? so the table shows us all the upregulated routes? I have difficulties to understand..

Tuba

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "gsea-help" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsea-help/A3B7D7F0-8B2C-4B6A-AAE5-07F9937F31E4%40hxcore.ol.

Castanza, Anthony

May 24, 2023, 1:04:54 PM5/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

So in this example, the P53 pathway is downregulated in your 16e6 treatment, which, because differential expression is reciprocal, means that it is reported as upregulated in the vector (in comparison to the treatment).

Tuba Uslu

May 24, 2023, 1:10:05 PM5/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

OK, I want to recap to be sure I understood: the p53 pathway is upregulated in the vector phenotype, therefore downregulated in 16e6. but then why if it is upregulated in vector the NES score is negative it should be positive no because it is upregulated?

Tuba

Castanza, Anthony

May 24, 2023, 1:16:52 PM5/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com

No. The enrichment score is always reported with respect to the positive phenotype, in this case 16e6. But the “enriched in phenotype” is reported with respect to which phenotype is actually expressing the bulk of those genes, in this case vector.
You computed differential expression for 16e6 vs. vector. 16e6 is the positive phenotype. Vector is the negative phenotype.

Genes that are “upregulated” are upregulated in 16e6 compared to vector, but this is reciprocal those same  genes are simultaneously downregulated in vector compared to 16e6. Because it is a differential.
The pathway is downregulated in the differential calculation because its genes are downregulated in the 16e6 vs vector comparison. So they are expressed less in 16e6 than they are in the vector. So, we report a negative enrichment score for the 16e6 vs. vector comparison for this pathway, and report that it is, therefore, enriched in the vector phenotype as that is the phenotype where the majority of the genes are most highly expressed.