Error sun.net.ftp.FtpLoginException: Invalid username/password

Thomas Schmittgen

Jan 19, 2023, 10:13:53 AM1/19/23
to gsea-help
I've been using GSEA flawlessly for years. After a few months hiatus I am getting the following error message

sun.net.ftp.FtpLoginException: Invalid username/password

Although I successfully logged on via the web browser version of GSEA I cannot run my analysis even after successfully loading my data. Has anything changed with GSEA regarding the log on?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TS

David Eby

Jan 24, 2023, 2:47:01 PM1/24/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi TS,

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I've been traveling.

What version of GSEA are you using?  The FTP site and the credential used have changed over time, and it's also possible that Broad IT has shut down one of our old FTP site.  The *current* version should be working, though there can be errors there as well.  Those don't usually present this way, however, so I'm thinking that the usual problems might not be involved here.

There are definitely workarounds in any case, we just need the version to know how to proceed.

Regards,
David

Thomas Schmittgen

May 18, 2023, 4:06:29 PM5/18/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
I'm using GSEA version 4.3.2

Thanks

Tom Schmittgen

David Eby

May 18, 2023, 4:44:35 PM5/18/23
to gsea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

If this happens every time you try to use GSEA, the likely cause is that your IT organization is blocking FTP access on your local network itself.  This sometimes happens in the name of security.  That error is not the usual way this situation presents itself, but I've confirmed that our servers are still working fine.

The workaround in this case is to download the GMT and CHIP files directly from our website.  You can choose them individually if you know which ones you need, or you can get ZIP bundles containing all the GMTs or all the CHIPs.  Once you have these on your computer, you can use the Load Data screen to bring them into GSEA.  Then they will be available in the file choosers under the "Local" tab.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We have long intended to switch away from FTP access but the code in question is rather old and hard to change and we only have limited resources to devote to it.

Thanks,
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gsea-help" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsea-help/CACDBQ%3Dt3NPRd_G%3D9hKWqSikn__iiyNfjAaij4W%2BcxJjtB0uY%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.