Fwd: Dr P K Sen

Kalind Bakshi

Dec 10, 2013, 4:37:45 PM12/10/13
to <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Dear Friends,

Thanks to Prabhakar, I am forwarding this piece of History in tribute to our

Chief of Surgery--P K Sen . It is a wonderful compilation and report of who

PK was and what his contribution was to CardioThorasic Surgery.

As it often happens, we do not recognize the great achievements since we are so

near when it is happening.

As a matter of fact, some of us, who rotated in CVTC with Dr Sen, recall

his anger at "missing" his due place in History when the recipient for the

heart transplant developed fever,diarrhoea and colitis and the surgery had to be

postponed! Some of us do recall sitting by the side of those poor dogs and

maintaining them through nights with Dr Kelkar, Chaukar etc.--we did not

realize then that we were a part of such a history in this branch.

Dr Bhalerao's pioneering work in liver perfusion--transplant was also quite

ahead of its time.

Well, I would love to hear from some of you who have been part of the

many a pioneering attempts that our great teachers were involved in

As we converge towards the reunion, may be we can put together such

memories and memoirs to celebrate our professional heritage.

Thanks again to Prabhakar for bringing this important document to light

Kalind

Dec 11, 2013, 2:40:41 AM12/11/13
to Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
It is very true. We were too close and too young to know history in making. So also with Dr Vasant  Sheth introducing Flexible Upper Endoscopy to KEM, having bought the scope with his own money and bringing it with him for the "non paying" patients.
Dr Sheth also spent long hours doing classic radical gastrectomy (everything
was classic w him) and patient coming out of OR with pulse of 80 and rock stable BP after 12 hrs of surgery. How we waited for many many hours for Dr Sheth to make rounds ; but once he came he was " ours to keep for whatever was needed for any patient. He gave of himself 100 % to anyone willing to receive.
Dr Vaze similarly brought cystoscope  with his own money . Many were the instances when they paid for supplies for the unaffording. The term "indigent" did not exist then and ALL patients were treated the same - with respect and dignity. Medicine was not a business then and we were not Vendors.
Thank you Prabhakar and Kalind for sharing the link.

Sent from H Rajdeo Phone

Kalpana Vaidya

Dec 11, 2013, 4:53:41 AM12/11/13
to Heena Rajdeo, Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>, Prabhakar Vaidya
I agree with Heena completely that we were too young to realize true value of what we saw at KEM and the excellent education that we all took for granted so to speak. It is only after arriving in USA soon after graduating that I understood the strength of our clinical skills.
Thank you Heena, Prabhakar and Kalind for sharing link and the details.
Kalpana

Sent from my iPhone

Rao

Dec 11, 2013, 1:00:55 PM12/11/13
to Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
We had great teachers as prescribed in our great Indian tradition, "acharyas", with very little expectation in return. They expected the same from their students. So many of the senior registrars spent so much time teaching us before our examinations, some of whose names have already been mentioned.
My first job as a house officer was with P. K.Sen. I still remember my first ever case done was a mitral valvulotomy, with a bare finger in the heart, and a Tubb' s dilator, all of them obsolete today. Can you imagine how old?  When all house surgeons we're doing hydroceles and hernias.
Even when I moved to Sion with Drs Diaz, Thatte, Katrak ( the father of orthopedics jn India), and later with pioneers in Urology, Sharad Bapat, Ajit Phadke(both outstanding urologists who really started endoscopic urology in "Bombay".  Sharad Bapat also taught the importance of labarotory research, where we spent one day every other week in renal transplantation on dogs. I still have the post transplant. IVPs of the dogs, and fed the dogs with Immuran daily. That was what was available then. Also introduced us to the original book on transplants Bo Roy York Calne.
He also taught us the benefits of gastrectomy and Billroyh one which was the preferred operation for chronic ulcer disease on our unit. For A blood gas I remember taking the sample from Sion to Bombay hospital on a patient who got oveoaded afterTURP. I do not how valid it was, but the experience and knowledge was of great benefit later and to this day, where I encourage residents to spend some time in bench research,  no matter what their goal is.
When I landed in the USA, some of my fella Indians thought gastrectomy was not done in India( from major metropolitan cities), even my experience in Tata for a year still hold its validity as well as exposure to chemotherapy and chemotherapeutic agents.
I still cherish their devotedness and try to emulate as best as I can with my residents and medical students.
The same  experience has followed me here as well.
Prakash
Prakashchandra M. Rao

Sent from my iPhone

Prabhakar Vaidya

Dec 11, 2013, 9:06:13 PM12/11/13
to Rao, Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Here is a little bit more about KEM:

The first link is by an article by our Dean, Dr S V Joglekar :

 http://www.indianjmedsci.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5359;year=2000;volume=54;issue=12;spage=521;epage=534;aulast=Joglekar

The second link is to an interview with Dr Ashok Vaidya, who was one of our teachers in Pharmacology and who had just returned from USA when we were in second MBBS:

http://www.jaim.in/article.asp?issn=0975-9476;year=2011;volume=2;issue=4;spage=211;epage=216;aulast=Pandharinath

and the third is a link to few pages from a chapter on Dialysis in India from a book on dialysis:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nv3R3U3kwO8C&pg=PA633&lpg=PA633&dq=K+E+M+hospital+raghavan&source=bl&ots=hyS5EsXaW9&sig=yWhHJ_syCQ2kht_arSE93bJZtBI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=N6moUuK1PNLRkQfh3YG4CQ&ved=0CB0Q6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=K%20E%20M%20hospital%20raghavan&f=false

I hope these give us all a perspective on history of KEM and how lucky we were to be students there.

Prabhakar

nivnath pat

Dec 11, 2013, 10:57:26 PM12/11/13
to Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Dear All,

Professor P.K. Sen was a great leader and far ahead of time to create a team of committed surgical academics and clinicians. I felt priviledged to know him as a team head of Dr. Vora's unit during my housemanship. (Dr. Vora, hon. surgeon and urologist was on sick leave.). I met him after his retirement over the dinner in U.K.. Four years ago, at a conference in Taiwan, I was pleased to hear Prof. Sen's name mentioned by a speaker as a pioneering heart transplant surgeon in Asia.

nivnath pat

Dec 11, 2013, 11:16:32 PM12/11/13
to Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>

Better version!!

Dear All,

Professor P.K. Sen was a great leader and far ahead of time to create a team of committed and brilliant surgical academics and clinicians. I felt privileged to know him as a team head of Dr. Vora's unit during my horsemanship. (Dr. Vora, Hon. surgeon and urologist was on sick leave and unfortunately couldn’t return.). He was my supervisor for publication of GUSUMAG when I was Magazine and wallpaper secretary.  I met Prof Sen after his retirement over the dinner in U.K.. Four years ago, at a conference in Taiwan, I was delighted  to hear Prof. Sen's name mentioned by a speaker as a pioneering heart transplant surgeon in Asia!

Something about Prof. Sen’s private life not known to many. He was once married to his classmate. They divorced. He was invited to  Iraq , after his retirement, to establish and lead Cardiothoracic surgery department in Basara. He left Iraq after 4 months of assignment.

Nalini Juthani

Dec 11, 2013, 11:50:00 PM12/11/13
to Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, Kalind Bakshi, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Prabhakar

Thanks for sending these links. It is beyond my imagination that we were there when history was in the making. Every stage of life as its own priorities. At that young age I do not remember that so many changes were occurring. Since I had left for the US after MBBS, I did not work with any of our heroes as residents, although I do remember them as our teachers.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 11, 2013, at 20:06, Prabhakar Vaidya <pnva...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here is a little bit more about KEM:

The first link is by an article by our Dean, Dr S V Joglekar :

The second link is to an interview with Dr Ashok Vaidya, who was one of our teachers in Pharmacology and who had just returned from USA when we were in second MBBShttp://www.jaim.in/article.asp?issn=0975-9476;year=2011;volume=2;issue=4; 211;epage=216;aulast=Pandharinath

Kalind Bakshi

Dec 12, 2013, 7:14:10 AM12/12/13
to nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Well Well Well, Hello friends!!

The Pandora's Memory Box is now open!!

Just enjoy and have fun

I have a few to add as some of the earlier works that our pioneering teachers were doing:
1 Dr BNPurandare with
     Cervical sling for uterine prolapse, cervical suture for early recurrent abortions and incompetent cervix, Schouta's operation for transvaginal pan hysterectomies

And he was a fast & precise surgeon

2. Dr DSPardhanani
Use of vas re anastomoses with 7/0 sutures for infertility- funnily, some of these patients were "forced@into vasectomies  that I recall ( vasectomy camps in mobile vans- the promoter got money and a transistor radio)

His work on varicocoele and sperm count

3. Dr VS Sheth
His then the largest series of 13 pancreaticojejunostomies for pancreatic calculi
Also, the multitudes of esophageal reconstructions for strictures, repeated dilatations to keep these poor patients nutritionally going

4. Dr Bhalerao
His extensive work on ascites with thoracic duct reanastamosis to int jugular vein
-- the fore runner of the concept of LaVeen shunt

5. Dr KKDatey
His ability to differentiate multitude of heart sounds- too many to count!

And yes, many, many senior registrars who dedicated their sleepless nights to teach medical students- quite some experience
Ramchandra in Anatomy dissection hall- he knew more soft parts/ bones & KDDesai respected him

Well, the list goes on and on

To Be Continued-----

Kalind
Sent from my iPhone

Annapurna Ramanarayanan

Dec 12, 2013, 7:34:54 AM12/12/13
to Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Dear kalind
I had the privilege of working with dr. B.N.Purandare and V.N.Purandare. BNP could do a vaginal hysterectomy in less than ten minutes. And no blood loss.The procedure for incompetent cervix was Dr. Shirodkar's invention. We were very lucky to have teachers who were skilled and famous. I recently had the privilege of meeting Dr. Motashaw. She also has contributed a lot .
Anu

On Thursday, December 12, 2013, Kalind Bakshi wrote:
Well Well Well, Hello friends!!

The Pandora's Memory Box is now open!!

Just enjoy and have fun

I have a few to add as some of the earlier works that our pioneering teachers were doing:Dr

Heena Rajdeo

Dec 12, 2013, 7:54:29 AM12/12/13
to Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Any consideration for inviting to the Bombay get togather those of our teachers that can make it?

Sent from H Rajdeo Phone

Rao

Dec 12, 2013, 8:18:20 AM12/12/13
to Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
The Phadke's were responsible for into dicing surgical management of male sterility in India and Bombay. Had the largest series ten and a cab apter in Campbell' urology then. kEM started doing urological procedures much later. Karanjawala was my MS teacher, ( his very first) who stood behind Phadke at Bombay hospital, while the latter operated on Karanjawala's behalf. He had severe Parkinsons , so he would keep talking. I participated in some of these after MS as I worked for a brief period with Phadke. Just setting it right, not to take anything away from Pardhanani. He was instumental in establishing the endo urology part with hardly any budget, while Bapat and Phadke had their own resources to buy the scopes and handsomely paying customers.
Prakash

Sent from my iPhone

Kalind Bakshi

Dec 12, 2013, 8:40:47 AM12/12/13
to Rao, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Thanks Prakash for the correction
Kalind

Sent from my iPhone

uday

Dec 12, 2013, 8:53:23 AM12/12/13
to Annapurna Ramanarayanan, Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Hi Annan
I am sure you too must be remembering Wadia days.
I had presented recording of nondesent cllampless vag hysterectomy  and I myself was surprised to see the exact way we picked up from B N.
I try my level best to teach others to not to give up the Tec and go in for only layperscopy
Hope to see you in next visit. Was with swati this saterday and new about your last trip
I must say WE WERE THLUCKY ONE
Vasanti

Sent from my iPhone

Shamala

Dec 12, 2013, 9:19:57 AM12/12/13
to Annapurna Ramanarayanan, Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Hi,
I saw Dr V N Purandhare do a Shauta 's for early CA CX under local anaesthesia even demonstrating the ureters to us and all in the time most would not even complete a routine hysterectomy! In one of the vag sterilization camps Dr Joglekar did a hysterectomy with the limited equipment ! Dr V. N encouraged us to do mtp and vag sterilization even before it was legal. Dr Motashaw used to bring her laparoscope may be the first in Bombay, and it was like a mela trying to get a peep inside the abdomen.
We have all been so lucky to have good and dedicated teachers.
Shamala

Dec 12, 2013, 9:50:57 AM12/12/13
to Shamala, Annapurna Ramanarayanan, Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
Prabhakar thanx to you we are all going down our memory lane, a new lane I might add.
I had the privilege of being the first female to complete MS in ophthal. Dept. We had to go to our attending's private clinic to assist in cataract surgery. This used to be after they finished their office hours. That was the main glitch. I did that too, as Maskati's registrar it was lot of fun competing for who does a better cataract. He used to do 3-5 minute cataracts with a perfect incision.
Dr. Modi was ok. Whole dept was Gujarati except Dr. Ursekar who also spoke very good Gujarati. I ended up getting a gold medal in MS. Not to brag but felt good to do something which no other woman had done.
Prashant Rodrigues also finished with me. So quiet all the time & a perfect gentleman.
I loved to teach med students those small instruments for their exams.
Like everyone else has expressed as registrars we did quite a lot & got to learn from the best. Today we know these were extraordinary people we trained under. What a privilege which gave us so much to be proud of. We are what we are in our profession because of them.
Thank you Prabhakar for opening another new MEMORY LANE.

Kinnari Bakshi

Prabhakar Vaidya

Dec 12, 2013, 9:48:32 PM12/12/13
to Shamala, Annapurna Ramanarayanan, Kalind Bakshi, nivnath pat, Rao, <gsdocs6469@googlegroups.com>
A little anecdote from me.

I came to USA on a green card (Thank you Prabodh and Malti) based upon my wife's visa (she is a nurse) since I had not done my ECFMG before coming here. Once I passed the exam, I was looking for jobs and came across an ad in JAMA for research fellowship in Division of Nephrology at U Penn. I applied and attached copies of letters of recommendation that I had brought from India. Within 48 hours, I got a phone call for an interview and when I reached there, I was taken to the office of Dr Arnold Relman who was the chairman of the department of Nephrology (and later will become the esteemed editor of NEJM) and talked to him and Dr Robert Narins (another great teacher in Nephrology who wrote 2 great articles - one on Simple and mixed acid-base disorders and the other one on Anion Gap). They asked me no questions and offered me the fellowship - the reason being letter of recommendation from Dr K G Nair. Dr Relman said - If K G says you are OK, you are OK with us. I, like a fool, refused the offer since it involved producing lactic acidosis in mice and I had no interest or inclination in dealing with mice and knew nothing about lactic acidosis and took a pitiful job elsewhere (that is another story). I did not know what missed out at that time but now I do. Life may have taken a very different turn if I had taken the job.

This just points to the name and the fame of K G Nair had at U Penn years after he had left.

Prabhakar

From: Prabhakar Vaidya <pnva...@gmail.com>

Heena Rajdeo

Dec 24, 2023, 10:43:42 AM12/24/23
to Annapurna Ramanarayanan, Kalind Bakshi, Prabhakar Vaidya, Rao, Shamala Masurkar, gsdoc...@googlegroups.com, nivnath pat
Please share with others who might have interest and I did not include.

Heena

Pl reply to hra...@gmail.com