Re: [gs-discussion] Couple of questions...

Google Cloud Storage Team

Mar 11, 2013, 2:52:25 PM3/11/13
to gs-discussion
Hello Kyle,

Google Cloud Storage is a developer-focused product.  It is designed primarily to be used through code, and to that end we provide an easy to use API. It allows a programmer to store and retrieve arbitrarily sized chunks of data on google's server infrastructure.  It's well suited to developing an application where you'll need to store and serve large quantities of data.

Google Drive is a user-focused product, which is designed to make it easy for a user to keep their data in Google's cloud.  Drive makes it easy to upload and share documents with others, and provides an API for accessing files stored in Drive, but unlike Cloud Storage, the Drive API is not the primary way in which we expect customers to interact with the product.

In Cloud Storage, we bill you for the data you upload, download, and store over time.  For example, if you upload a 2 GB file, and five days later you delete it and upload a new 2 GB file, which you keep until the end of the month, we will charge you for 2 GB of monthly usage (which we call 2 gigabyte months).  If, instead, you upload a 2 GB file, and delete it the next day, and then 20 days later you upload another 2 GB file and delete that one the following day, at the end of the month you'll be charged for roughly 130 MB of monthly usage ((2 / 30) * 2 GB).

Does that clear things up a bit?

Best Regards,
Benson
Google Cloud Storage Team

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Kyle Watson <kyle.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
How does google storage differe from google drive? What are the typical use case scenarios for each?

Pricing question:

How is total storage counted as far as deleting data. For example, I have a 2 gigabyte file. I delete this file and upload another 2 gigabyte file within the same billing cycle/month. How much did that cost?

Kyle Watson

Mar 11, 2013, 3:17:55 PM3/11/13
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com, gs-...@google.com
Lets use some numbers:

Using your example:

For example, if you upload a 2 GB file, and five days later you delete it and upload a new 2 GB file, which you keep until the end of the month, we will charge you for 2 GB of monthly usage (which we call 2 gigabyte months).

So the total cost in this scenario would be ( using current pricing ): 2 * $0.085 ( storage fee ) +  $0.12 * 4 ( 2 gig + 2 gigs ) =   $ .65

Can you explain the second scenario? Include the upload costs and any other costs.

Google Cloud Storage Team

Mar 11, 2013, 8:03:23 PM3/11/13
to gs-discussion
Hello Kyle,

I'm sorry I neglected to add details about the upload and download costs.  Here are my calculations given today's pricing scheme.

In the first case, your total storage usage is 2 GB * 1 month, which at $0.085 per GB month is 2 * $0.085 = $0.17, not $0.65 as you calculated, so that's good news.

Here's a more thorough breakdown of the numbers in the second case, in which data is stored for only short periods.  For this example, I'll use the month of April.

To calculate your network costs, let's use the following scenario:
April 1: upload 2 GB of data (uploads are free, no charge)
April 3: download this data to a generic server in the Austin, TX (2GB of download @ $0.12/GB = $0.24)
April 5: remove 2 GB of data (deletes are free, no charge)

April 20: upload 2 GB of data (uploads are free, no charge)
April 21: download 2 GB to a server in Zurich, Switzerland (2GB of download @ $0.12/GB = $0.24)
April 22: remove 2 GB of data (deletes are still free)

This results in a total of $0.48 of network costs (in which we only charge for downloads from cloud storage).

Now we'll calculate your storage costs:
The first set of data, stored from the first to the 5th, is 2 GB over 4 days, which will be billed as 8 GB days.  The second 2 GB data set, stored for 2 days, is another 4 GB days. Take those 12 GB days, divide by 30 days per month, and you'll get 0.4 GB months.  At $0.085 per GB month, your total storage cost would be $0.034.

To get your total for the month, we add $0.48 + $0.034 and get $0.514, which we round to $0.51.

Of course all of this falls under the free trial tier, so your actual bill would be $0.00.

Best,
Benson
Google Cloud Storage Team
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Kyle Watson kyle.l.watson-at-gmail.com <trax-proxy-disa...@google.com> wrote: