GSResponseError: status=400, code=MissingSecurityHeader, reason=Bad Request, detail=Authorization.

Mike

Jun 15, 2011, 6:29:01 PM6/15/11
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I get MissingSecurityHeader when I run the following command:
$ gsutil -d  mb gs://catskjdsjkdsfhjkds

Output of the command (sensitive data sanitized):
Creating gs://catskjdsjkdsfhjkds/...
send: 'PUT /catskjdsjkdsfhjkds/ HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: commondatastorage.googleapis.com\r\nAccept-Encoding: identity\r\nContent-Length: 0\r\nx-goog-api-version: 2\r\nx-goog-project-id: 2387632\r\nAuthorization: OAuth 83489sanitized...\r\nUser-Agent: Boto/2.0b5 (darwin)/gsutil\r\n\r\n'
reply: 'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request\r\n'
header: Server: Upload Server Built on Jun 9 2011 18:36:01 (32778)
header: Content-Type: application/xml; charset=UTF-8
header: Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:13:48 GMT
header: Pragma: no-cache
header: Expires: Fri, 01 Jan 1990 00:00:00 GMT
header: Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
header: Content-Length: 181
header: Connection: Keep-Alive
GSResponseError: status=400, code=MissingSecurityHeader, reason=Bad Request, detail=Authorization.

The above output shows that the OAuth header is included in the HTTP request. I also checked that billing is enabled on my account. I am not sure why I still get MissingSecurityHeader error.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Schwartz (Google Storage Team)

Jun 15, 2011, 6:57:51 PM6/15/11
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Are your gsutil/boto requests going through a proxy? If so, could you please ask your proxy administrators whether this proxy strips out the Authorization header?

I'd appreciate hearing back about this - we'd like to update our documentation if there's something that users should know about when using OAuth2 through a proxy.

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Jun 16, 2011, 6:33:51 PM6/16/11
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
You are right. Our proxy is striping out the Authorization header. Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction. I will work with the proxy administrator to resolve this issue.

Mike Schwartz (Google Storage Team)

Sep 24, 2012, 1:46:02 PM9/24/12
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This request did not include an Authorization header, which suggests it was stripped out somewhere between your client and the Google Cloud Storage service.

The only other thought I have is: Is it possible your organization is using a transparent proxy (which therefore you would not explicitly configure gsutil to use), that's stripping out the Authorization header?

Mike

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Jayasurya Venugopalan <jaya...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2011 4:03:51 AM UTC+5:30, Mike wrote:
You are right. Our proxy is striping out the Authorization header. Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction. I will work with the proxy administrator to resolve this issue.

Hi,

I too am getting the GSResponseError: status=400, code=MissingSecurityHeader, reason=Bad Request, detail=Authorization  error.
The output is :

c:\gsutil\gsutil>python gsutil -d mb gs://jvcats gs://jvdogs
***************************** WARNING *****************************
*** You are running gsutil with debug output enabled.
*** Be aware that debug output includes authentication credentials.
*** Do not share (e.g., post to support forums) debug output
*** unless you have sanitized authentication tokens in the
*** output, or have revoked your credentials.
***************************** WARNING *****************************
Creating gs://jvcats/...
send: 'PUT /jvcats/ HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: commondatastorage.googleapis.com\r\nAccept-Encoding: identity\
r\nContent-Length: 0\r\nx-goog-api-version: 1\r\nUser-Agent: Boto/2.5.2 (win32) gsutil/3.18 (win32)\
r\n\r\n'
reply: 'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request\r\n'
header: Server: HTTP Upload Server Built on Sep 5 2012 17:14:59 (1346890499)
header: Content-Type: application/xml; charset=UTF-8
header: Content-Length: 181
header: Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:31:49 GMT
header: Pragma: no-cache
header: Expires: Fri, 01 Jan 1990 00:00:00 GMT
header: Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
GSResponseError: status=400, code=MissingSecurityHeader, reason=Bad Request, detail=Authorization.

I am not using any proxy server.
Pl suggest cause for the error

Rgds
jayasurya

Jayasurya Venugopalan

Sep 25, 2012, 12:23:26 AM9/25/12
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your message.
I had not done the boto configuration, once I did it the error was resolved.
Thanks
jayasurya

Google Cloud Storage Team

Apr 1, 2013, 2:20:10 PM4/1/13
to gs-discussion
Hi Viknesh,

To authenticate the gsutil tool with cloud storage, you just need to run "gsutil config", and follow the instructions presented to you.  There's a great deal more information on the topic available in our documentation

Best Regards,
Benson
Google Cloud Storage team

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Viknesh Jian <vixte...@gmail.com> wrote:
how to do the boto configuration. same prob here. help pls. thanx!