Re: [gs-discussion] frequency of logging

Ted

Mar 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM3/11/13
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sachin, the frequency is unchanged -- daily for storage logs and hourly for usage logs, as you say.

Thanks for pointing out the gap in the documention, we'll get that fixed.

Ted
Google Cloud Storage Team

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM, sachin kale <brigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I saw a change in bucket name logging and update about it in documentation
---
 Starting March 6, 2013 00:00 UTC storage and usage objects will be written with the suffix _YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS_<id>_v0, where <id> matches the regular expression [a-z0-9]+. This replaces the previous suffixes _YYYY_MM_DD_v0 for storage objects and _YYYY_MM_DD_HH_v0 for usage objects.
---
Does log naming indicate any change in frequency of logs generated.

Does this still mean that storage logs would be generated once in day and usage logs would be generated once in hour (which was the frequency I am aware of )?

Please let me know any documentation link on frequency of logs.

Thanks,
Sachin

Ted

Mar 18, 2013, 6:04:18 PM3/18/13
to gs-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sachin, sorry for the delay in responding.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM, sachin kale <brigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Ted for confirming that.

I have few questions related to frequency.

Q1. I have setup logs for many buckets and I want to setup a cronjob to inspect all logs of all buckets, so  to determine the start time for the cronjob, I wanted to know when writing of logs for all buckets will be completed in that hour. I see various timestamps across log files but could not figure out best time to start the cronjob to cover logs of all buckets.
Logs will usually be written within 15 minutes of the end of the hour, but it is not guaranteed. While it should be rare, you should take into account the possibility of logs being delivered late.

Q2. Is the timestamp shown in gsutil ls -l for logs in UTC? or in timezone of system where gsutil is run?
The timestamp in gsutil ls -l is in UTC.

Hope that helps,
Ted

-Sachin.