R1200R oil level switch malfunction?

hjschmidl

May 3, 2012, 7:41:09 AM5/3/12
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
I am getting this fault "10048: oil level switch malfunction" many
times when I check my bike. Looking on the Max BMW parts fiche it
appears the 2007 R1200R does not have that oil level switch. The RT,
for instance, does.
Do other people who have the GS-911 and in particular the R1200R see
this or similarly ominous faults also? What is this telling me, if
anything?
It seems that the fault codes of the GS-911 are to be taken with a
grain of salt. Assuming my R1200R indeed does not have the oil level
switch, either I have some other fault and get the incorrect code or
the GS-911 detects a fault where there is none at all.

Stephan Thiel

May 3, 2012, 8:58:01 AM5/3/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
pls post the complete AutoScan!
--
========================
Stephan Thiel

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the HEX EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE which can be viewed at http://www.hex.co.za/email_legalnotice

Lloyd Provin Jr

May 3, 2012, 9:48:37 AM5/3/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Bogus faults show up with the dealer diagnostic equipment, too.

Bud Provin
TheNickwackettGarage.com
802.483.2460

Gerbing's Heated Clothing
Bel-Ray Lubricants
Braided Stainless Brake Lines
Odyssey Batteries

> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:58:01 +0200
> From: ste...@hex.co.za
> To: gs-...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [GS-911] R1200R oil level switch malfunction?

Don Eilenberger

May 3, 2012, 11:05:15 AM5/3/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I've never seen that fault on my '07 R1200R..
Did you select the correct bike at startup? It's awfully easy to not to..

Don Eilenberger

hjschmidl

May 3, 2012, 11:10:13 AM5/3/12
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Will do when I get the fault again. I just cleared it yesterday and I
assume you want the AutoScan with that fault code shown.

hjschmidl

May 3, 2012, 11:13:34 AM5/3/12
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Yes, I select the R1200R before I start the test. BTW, someone over at
the R1200R forum replied to my post there who is getting the same code
on his '07.

On May 3, 11:05 am, Don Eilenberger <deilenber...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've never seen that fault on my '07 R1200R..

Stephan Thiel

May 3, 2012, 4:05:38 PM5/3/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
thanks, see if you can get him to send us an AutoScan - you can send me
one as well - can do it to my personal mail if you like - just want to
get all the bike and controller details

thanks
Stephan
--
========================
Stephan Thiel

Stephan Thiel

May 4, 2012, 4:54:20 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Your bike was produced 08/2006. According to the wiring diagrams for
that model, there is S9095 which is the Oil Level Switch, and goes to
pin 22 on the BMS-K... So let's keep those grains of salt in the bag for
now, and go searching for the Oil level Switch on your engine... ;-)
(Hint: Seems to be under the left Cylinder head, just above the oil
level window...)

best,
Stephan

Harald Schmidl

May 4, 2012, 5:22:27 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. The part you point out is the oil pressure switch though.
Does anyone here know where the oil level switch is?

Leif Johansen

May 4, 2012, 5:51:45 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
Seems to me that the oil level switch is on the left side og the engine
just below the left cylinder. At least that is what the manual says on
page 2/11.

Regards Leif
2003 BMW K1200RS
1946 Indian Chief

Harald Schmidl

May 4, 2012, 6:05:53 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Is that the factory manual? I can't find it in that. The oil pressure
switch, yes, and it is in the location you describe. You couldn't post
that page scanned by any chance (or email it to me)? Thanks!

KRod...@aol.com

May 4, 2012, 6:36:29 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Oil level sensor is on the opposite side of the engine from the oil pressure sensor.
It has a flat rubber boot covering it with a wire coming from the centre.

Harald Schmidl

May 4, 2012, 6:45:48 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Leif. So right hand side of engine. There is no sensor or wire in the engine block below the cylinder or in an other visible area on my R1200R. If you see this sensor, could you send me a picture that shows its location relative to some other identifiable part, please?

On 5/4/2012 6:36 AM, KRod...@aol.com wrote:
Oil level sensor is on the opposite side of the engine from the oil pressure sensor.
It has a flat rubber boot covering it with a wire coming from the centre.

Leif Johansen

May 4, 2012, 7:12:59 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I don't have access to R1200R right now. Here is a link to a manual. Not sure if it's for your model, but i guess it might be. Better reference woud be e.g Haynes or Clymers service manual.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/bikes/urban/r1200r/media/Rider_s_Manual_R_1200_R_2008.pdf

Seems to me that your bike also came with an optional on board computer with different possibilities for senor readout to the instrument cluster. Eihterway, if you have a oil warning lamp, you should have a level indicator and a pressure indicator. Once you find the sensor, it should be fairly easy to check (probably). I guess you should have infinite resistance between the pins on the sensor itself when level is ok. Might be that you can short curcuit the wires on the connector and if you get signal on the cluster then you know the cluster and wiring is ok so the fault is in the senor it self. Will try that out next service on mine just to see.

Leif

Mike Delacoe

May 4, 2012, 7:46:15 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harald,

I have just looked at the official BMW Repair DVD for the R1200 series (dated 02/2009 3rd edition), and while the Oil Pressure sensor is shown on the R1200S, ST and RT, it is not shown on the R1200R.

It also shows:

Equipment trim-level variant:

0510

-

Oil level warning (only in combination with option code 0519 on-board computer)

If fitted, it would just above the Lambda sensor on right hand side.

Mike

May 4, 2012, 7:48:26 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I prefer using the online parts catalog at
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do as it "behaves" more like the BMW ETK.
As such, when you input the last 7 digits of your VIN it accesses a database
containing the "build spec" of that particular BMW down to and including the
paint code. Then as you view the individual component illustrations if a
particular part reference (say 16) does not appear in the table then that
part was not installed by BMW when that specific vehicle was built.

Regards,
John

Mike Delacoe

May 4, 2012, 7:49:47 AM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Harald,

I meant to attach the following, it shows the sensor (item 3), and associated plug (item 1)

E:\Datas\Reprom\BMW-Motorrad\BILD\1143\MODELLE\00\K26_11005b_preview.jpg

Mike

May 4, 2012, 1:08:59 PM5/4/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
In the engine data set, code 10048 is 0x2740 and is "Ölstandgeber"  ;-)  which mean the GS-911 description is correct

Stephan Thiel

May 5, 2012, 3:22:09 AM5/5/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
hi Harald,

BMW does some interesting things.. I checked the wiring diagrams again,
and there is only S9095... but it is a Switch... and not an analog
pressure measurement... thus is does stand to reason that they are using
the pressure switch as "Oil Level indication" ..hence pressure low,
implies oil level low...

the F800 for instance also uses the BMS-K family... and I can read
"Knock sensor values" from the ECU.. but the F800 series does not have
knock sensors... the SAE has various papers on deducing knock values
from other sensor values...

here's my suggestion: you've cleared the Fault Code... you now have the
perfect opportunity to test whether the Oil Pressure Switch is at the
root of this fault... unplug it, and start the engine.. then later read
the fault codes and let us know what you find...

best,
Stephan

Don Eilenberger

May 5, 2012, 11:18:39 AM5/5/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Stephan,

Harald will have a problem there - the R1200R doesn't have the oil level
switch.. and I think that's his concern, he's seeing a warning for a
non-existent part.

Don Eilenberger

Julian

May 6, 2012, 7:38:27 AM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe someone nicked it

May 6, 2012, 9:36:56 AM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Possibly the wrong model of R1200 was selected.

Stephan Thiel

May 6, 2012, 1:02:38 PM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
hi Don,

Something has to trigger the oil light.. and I'm strongly suspecting
that BMW is using the Oil Pressure Switch which triggers the fault code
too... Hence my suggestion to Harald that he play with the Oil Pressure
switch as I'm pretty sure that will trigger his specific fault code...

best,
Stephan

Don Eilenberger

May 6, 2012, 5:56:48 PM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
At 01:02 PM 5/6/2012, you wrote:
>hi Don,
>
>Something has to trigger the oil light.. and I'm strongly suspecting
>that BMW is using the Oil Pressure Switch which triggers the fault code
>too... Hence my suggestion to Harald that he play with the Oil Pressure
>switch as I'm pretty sure that will trigger his specific fault code...
>
>best,
>Stephan

Stephan - there are two different functions here.. oil pressure (which the
R12R has) and oil level (which the R12R does not have..)

Harald is pointing out that he has an oil-level switch warning - on a bike
that doesn't have an oil-level switch. The BMS-K may well see the missing
switch and think it's broken, but that warning can be ignored on an R12R
since we don't have a switch to break.

Don

Harald Schmidl

May 6, 2012, 9:22:57 PM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
Thank you for posting this. I positively do not have this oil level sensor/switch on my '07 R1200R.

On 5/4/2012 7:49 AM, Mike Delacoe wrote:
Harald,

I meant to attach the following, it shows the sensor (item 3), and associated plug (item 1)

E:\Datas\Reprom\BMW-Motorrad\BILD\1143\MODELLE\00\K26_11005b_preview.jpg

Mike

Harald Schmidl

May 6, 2012, 9:40:53 PM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
That is my concern correctly stated, which is why I initially said I
have a feeling the error codes are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Harald Schmidl

May 6, 2012, 9:45:51 PM5/6/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I can try this and let you know. However, if the *oil pressure switch*
triggers that fault then why does the output string state *oil level
switch*? That is my main worry.

Is the GS-911 just reporting what the engine management module tells it
or are you doing some interpretation there? If it's the former then I
suspect BMW treats a missing switch just like a broken one. If it's the
latter then there seems to be a problem on your end.

Stephan Thiel

May 7, 2012, 3:46:22 AM5/7/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
No Don, The pressure switches were only introduced in some of the later
models (BMS-KP2 ecu)... let me give you a timeline...

BMS-K and BMS-KP only have oil pressure sensors (which by the way are
only a switch, thus not an Analog value)... this ib all likelyhood they
(read BMW) used to determine whether enough oil is in the system
according to the pressure, and then they relate that to whether there is
enough oil, hence oil level...

Hence, if before the introduction of the Oil Level Switch, you get this
Error, there would be no doubt what it relates too...

Only later did they introduce the Oil Level sensor, and with that
another fault code which reads: "Faulty Oil Level"...

Also, they very rarely go back and change a description... hence the
other code remains...

Maybe let's just confirm that that switch S9095 (oil pressure) relates
to fault code 10048, then I'll change our wording so avoid confusion...

best,
Stephan

Stephan Thiel

May 7, 2012, 3:53:27 AM5/7/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think we'll lay this issue to rest now... In my previous post I
explained the time line which I think will explain this..

GS-911 read the fault codes that the ECU detects.. which is this case is
10048, which was coded by a German Engineer, and in German is
"�lstandgeber"... you can translate that to English if you like...

I still think it's a matter of ambiguity... when BMW introduced this
fault code, there was only one oil switch, and it was the Oil Pressure
Switch... only on later models did they introduce the Oil Level
Switch... (but obviously didn't go back to remove the now newly
introduced ambiguity...)

as i mentioned to Don... let me confirm that S9095 triggers this code,
then I will change the wording in our code description... and then we
have a better than factory tool! ;-)

best,
Stephan

Harald Schmidl

May 7, 2012, 8:26:15 AM5/7/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I did the oil pressure switch test:

- disconnect oil pressure switch
- start bike, shut down
- use GS-911 in the usual manner to read engine fault codes (engine off)
- no codes found

Syd weaver

Jun 25, 2012, 2:14:02 AM6/25/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Jun 27, 2012, 3:31:06 PM6/27/12
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Once again - the R1200R does NOT HAVE AN OIL LEVEL SWITCH. It isn't there.
It was not a feature of the Roadster.

Don Eilenberger (55,000 miles on his R12R with no oil level switch..)