Creating Python Turtle Environment for Teaching and Goofing

Jamie Bliss

May 20, 2015, 11:25:52 PM5/20/15
to wmma...@googlegroups.com, gr...@googlegroups.com
So I've got an idea for creating a turtle graphics environment in Python. Thinking GTK with lots of upward options.

Turtle environments, from Logo, are good for teaching because of how rapid beginners can get started and how easy it is to do things. It's fun for experts because you can easily create little things.

I would use Python for this because, unlike regular Logo, it has footholds in pretty much every domain of programming, it's very easy to learn, and gives options for sophisticated use (Functions, modules, objects, classes, etc).

My question is, is there an interest in this? Enough interest to have help?

Kevin Greene

May 21, 2015, 8:22:57 AM5/21/15
to wmma...@googlegroups.com, gr...@googlegroups.com
Is there a reason you would make your own instead of just using one of the existing implementations? Turtle is actually already in Python's core standard library - https://docs.python.org/2/library/turtle.html.

If you want a library with some more interesting options to build on, pynguin seems cool - https://code.google.com/p/pynguin/.

Jamie Bliss

May 21, 2015, 4:50:06 PM5/21/15
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Kevin Greene <kevind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a reason you would make your own instead of just using one of the existing implementations? Turtle is actually already in Python's core standard library - https://docs.python.org/2/library/turtle.html.

Tk as a toolkit just ugly, and I'm not terribly impressed with the richness of the API. Plus, it does not provide an actual environment to work in.

If you want a library with some more interesting options to build on, pynguin seems cool - https://code.google.com/p/pynguin/.

I'll have to look at that and see if it does what I want. One of the things I'm hoping for is upward mobility within the environment: Easy to extend.

Gamegod2 MC

Dec 8, 2015, 10:31:47 AM12/8/15
to GRPUG: Grand Rapids Python Users Group, wmma...@googlegroups.com
hi