BarCampGR - Aug 24 & 25

Dave Brondsema

Aug 8, 2018, 9:21:10 PM8/8/18
to GRPUG: Grand Rapids Python Users Group
Geeks, makers, and programmers lend me your inboxes! The 13th annual BarCampGR
will be on Friday, August 24 and Saturday, August 25 at Calvin College. To
register and attend for free, visit: https://barcampgr.org/register/

If you're already a fan of BarCamp and know a company that might be interested
in sponsoring, let us know - we are still seeking a few more sponsors.

New to BarCampGR or want more information? Read on!

What is BarCampGR?
Meet interesting people, talk about what you want to talk about, listen to what
you find interesting! That's what we're about. From web programming to digital
photography, computer vision to tabletop games, cosplay to turkey basting, we've
had it all. We don't set the talks up ahead of time; you, the attendees, show up
and give BarCampGR direction and content.

What's the format?
Talks run 25 minutes long, with five minutes in between. Sit in on a talk or
hang around in the lounge and talk; it's all the same to us. If you give a talk,
we don't care how—so long as you don't get us in trouble! Give a monologue, a
Q&A or a round table; it's your topic, your presentation, your audience. If
people want to hear about your topic, they'll be there.

Don't know what to talk about?
Certainly you have some relatively unique experiences! What do you do for a
hobby? Is there something you managed to fix that you're proud of? It doesn't
matter if the height of your accomplishment is changing your car's oil or
deploying a thousand servers; if people are interested, they will show up at
your talk. If they aren’t interested, no big deal; they'll likely attend one of
the other talks.

But I'm not an expert!
Sure you are! If you know the first thing about a subject, you know more than
people who don't. Sure, people who know more than you might attend your
presentation. Interact with them; you found a kindred spirit. Chances are, if
you're both interested in the same subject, you'll look for each other in the
lounge later to follow up!

How do I register a talk?
There's a blank schedule grid near the entrance with a list of rooms and times,
and the grid starts off empty. Simply walk up to that board, find a spot, write
in your topic and your name, and then show up in that room at that time to
speak. It's that simple. Please be considerate when signing up for multiple
talks at the start of the conference. If you see slots lingering open later on,
feel free to fill them in then. This allows for more room for new talks and late
adds, while also keeping you from accidentally scheduling an hour for a 25
minute talk!

I'm not sure I want to talk...
No problem. Come on in, take a look around and get a feel for things. It's a
two-day event; come by on Friday, sit in on the presentations which interest you
or hang around in the lounge and network with other people. Perhaps you'll be
inspired to talk about something later or on Saturday. Or perhaps you'll be
content to simply listen to the people around you; it's all good.

If you'd like to be able to listen, but don't know if you'll have anything to
say, you can still...

Help Out
We need people to help prep & setup before the event, and help everything run
smoothly during the event. If you can help set up, be a greeter, help take out
trash, etc that would be great. Just mark the checkbox on the registration form
and we'll get in touch.

We also have a Slack chat at slack.barcampgr.org. Use it to ask for certain
subjects to be covered (#topic-requests). Use it to offer subjects that you can
talk about. During the event, use it to have live discussions about things with
people who aren't immediately present. After the event, use it to post
supplemental materials and ask followup questions. We have a lot of other ways
you can keep up to date on BarCampGR news and updates via the following social
media outlets:

* Website: https://barcampgr.org
* Twitter: @barcampgr
* Slack: http://slack.barcampgr.org/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/barcampgr

Also, if you'd like to help us organize BarCampGR, then sign up for the
BarCampGR Organizers' Email Group and jump right into the conversation at
http://lists.barcampgr.org/listinfo.cgi/organizers-barcampgr.org, or join the
Slack team noted above.

CODE OF CONDUCT
You can read our code of conduct here:
* https://barcampgr.org/code-of-conduct/

REGISTRATION
* https://barcampgr.org/register/

LOCATION
DeVos Communications Center at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI

SCHEDULE

Friday, August 24, 2018
5:00-6:00 PM - Check-in and setup
6:00-7:00 PM - Dinner
7:00 PM - Kick things off with opening session
7:30-9:30 PM - Sessions every 1/2 hour
9:30 PM - After party

Overnight
10:00 PM-whenever the next morning - Camping, all-night hacking, etc.

There will be plenty of room to crash on Friday night, so bring a sleeping
bag if you want.

Saturday, August 25, 2018
9:00-10:00 AM - Continental Breakfast
10:00 AM-12:00 PM - Sessions every 1/2 hour
12:00-1:00 PM - Lunch
1:00-2:00 PM - 5 minute Lightning Talks
2:00-4:00 PM - Sessions every 1/2 hour
4:00-4:30 PM - Closing session
4:30-5:30 PM - Cleanup

* Note, despite the 'bar' in BarCampGR, the event doesn't take place in a bar,
only the (optional) Friday after-party does.

--
Dave Brondsema : da...@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal