checking generated files in repository

is16...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2016, 12:01:02 PM9/15/16
to grpc.io
Hi,

I am wondering if generated source files from .proto files should be checked into repository. I am particularly referring to python. What do you think ?

Nathaniel Manista

Sep 20, 2016, 7:46:13 PM9/20/16
to is16...@gmail.com, grpc.io
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:01 AM, <is16...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am wondering if generated source files from .proto files should be checked into repository.

But that lofty principle sometimes has to give way to reality and the specific circumstances in which you're working, the tools with which you are building your software, and the way you are distributing your software to your users. What tempts you to check files generated from your .proto files into your repository? How bothersome is it to avoid doing so? How bothersome will it be when your .proto files change to rerun the code generator and also change the generated files accordingly?

I am particularly referring to python.

Thank you for including this detail although I'm not aware of anything about Python that would color the situation one way or the other.
-N