gRPC Java on FreeBSD: did anyone try?

Alex Povolotsky

Apr 6, 2021, 12:27:45 AM4/6/21
to grpc.io
Well, Java is supposed to be multiplatofrm. And as well gRPC should not be system-dependent.
However, I cannot build gRPC-java because of "Unknown OS: FreeBSD" error.
As far as I understand, just adding FreeBSD to the list should work; there's nothing THAT different, unless gRPC use something kernel-dependent.
How can I do it?

Alex

Piotr Morgwai Kotarbinski

Apr 19, 2021, 6:32:10 PM4/19/21
to grpc.io
you haven't included enough info, so we can only guess (with high probability though) that the error is caused by the fact that there's no protoc binary maven artifact for FreeBSD in the maven central repo: https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/google/protobuf/protoc/3.12.0/
It is probably possible to work around by building protoc first and installing it in your local maven repo.

Cheers!