Unable to list methods for service using grpc_cli

Jason Roselander

Dec 7, 2022, 5:20:45 PM12/7/22
to grpc.io
Hi all,

I'm new to grpc_cli. I'm running a piece of software (Temporal) which exposes multiple gRPC services. I can see these services in grpc_list:

% ./grpc_cli ls 127.0.0.1:7233
grpc.health.v1.Health
grpc.reflection.v1alpha.ServerReflection
temporal.api.operatorservice.v1.OperatorService
temporal.api.workflowservice.v1.WorkflowService
temporal.server.api.adminservice.v1.AdminService

I can list methods for the Health and ServerReflection services, but when I try to ls the temporal* ones, I get:

% ./grpc_cli ls 127.0.0.1:7233 temporal.api.workflowservice.v1.WorkflowService
Service or method temporal.api.workflowservice.v1.WorkflowService not found.

I don't think there is any security configuration which would prevent listing the methods, but I thought I'd ask here before digging in further.

Thanks in advance!