Issue 12295: Updating DNS names in the client load balancer - handling streaming services

Mark Fine

Jul 16, 2021, 3:44:09 PM7/16/21
to grpc.io
Hi,

We're running into issues with the client gRPC load balancer not re-resolving domain names to pick up added servers (12295). The workaround suggested in the issue is to set MAX_CONNECTION_AGE_MS channel arguments on the server. Is there a workaround for long-running streaming services that don't have an applicable max connection age? Our client streams run "forever" and we'd like them to pick up added servers without disrupting them. Is there anything we can do to kick the client's channel to force it to re-resolve DNS names (we're happy to handle running this periodically outside of the library). Thanks for any help!

Mark

Amit Saha

Jul 16, 2021, 7:31:30 PM7/16/21
to Mark Fine, grpc.io

On 17 Jul 2021, at 5:43 am, Mark Fine <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We're running into issues with the client gRPC load balancer not re-resolving domain names to pick up added servers (12295). The workaround suggested in the issue is to set MAX_CONNECTION_AGE_MS channel arguments on the server. Is there a workaround for long-running streaming services that don't have an applicable max connection age? Our client streams run "forever" and we'd like them to pick up added servers without disrupting them. Is there anything we can do to kick the client's channel to force it to re-resolve DNS names (we're happy to handle running this periodically outside of the library). Thanks for any help!

You could try creating a new stream periodically. Are you using bidi streaming, server streaming or client streaming?

Either way, you could do something similar to what is being discussed here: https://groups.google.com/g/grpc-io/c/PXb2Xx89QH4/m/-ceBVgJ9BAAJ

Hope that helps.

Mark