Browsers' stream API as "native" transport for PROTOCOL-WEB / Grpc-web

Fabio Monte

Aug 16, 2021, 9:26:34 AM8/16/21
to grpc.io
Hi,

I have been following "native" support of "real" Grpc client in browsers for quite some time, and was wondering if, indeed, what you can read on the Github doc is still the aimed goal?
Quote from Design Goals:
  • "become optional (in 1-2 years) when browsers are able to speak the native gRPC protocol via the new whatwg streams API"
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/doc/PROTOCOL-WEB.md#design-goals

---> I was wondering if this is still relevant ? Are you any closer to that (if I remind correctly, 2 years at least have past since I read this sentence haha, although I did not look at the commits log I admit)

Thanks for help

wen...@google.com

Aug 16, 2021, 12:55:14 PM8/16/21
to grpc.io
Thanks for the note. We should update the doc (i.e. remove the timeframe).

Fabio Monte

Aug 17, 2021, 11:48:10 AM8/17/21
to grpc.io

Thx for answer, but I am asking more about the content : Streams have landed on Chrome for example, so where are we regarding "native" support of GRPC in browsers through Streams? Is it still the "official" / planned route ?
Or instead perhaps are you/we settling on the Grpc-web we have now, saying goodbye to the idea of having real GRPC in a browser ??

If somebody could give the gist of it..?