Cross Language support C++, .NET 4.8, .Net Core...

David Corbin

Nov 19, 2021, 6:40:58 AM11/19/21
to grpc.io
How feasible is it to have implementations where one end is in:

* C++ (native)
* C# running .NET 4.8 full framework
* C# running .NET Core 5.0 or later

And the other end running in one of the other two....

yas...@google.com

Dec 1, 2021, 2:25:43 PM12/1/21
to grpc.io
I don't know of any issues doing this.

Dimiter Stanev

Dec 9, 2021, 4:55:19 PM12/9/21
to grpc.io
I'm using this on Windows, for an automated test.

The test runner is written in C# (.Net Framework 4.7.2), using Grpc.Core (e.g. the C++ wrapped as C#).
The application is in C++ using C++ grpc.

No secure channels, no special things, just local port, and no issues so far.
The only thing I've had to do is bump the max message size to 128mb, as big buffers are transferred (screenshots).

I only wish there was support for AF_UNIX (since it's now available on Windows), so I don't have to use a port, but no biggie.
Looking forward replacing it with the fully dotnet version (e.g. no C++ for C#), once we fully migrate.