Grouping data from different RPC methods by the same client

Jiayi Guo

Jun 28, 2022, 3:17:39 AM6/28/22
to grpc.io
Hi

I am looking for a way to group the data from multiple clients and store them to a database. The service (the Bazel Event Service) has 2 RPC methods, 1 unary and  1 bidirectional streaming RPC using blockingStub and AsyncStub. I am coding a server that should separate data from concurrent clients and group requests to both RPC calls together, probably to store them somewhere. There is a Build_ID field in each request but I am not sure if it's unique for each client, so is there any other way to do it efficiently?

Language: Java

Thanks!

Jiayi Guo

Jun 28, 2022, 3:46:03 AM6/28/22
to grpc.io
It also includes grouping messages from the same stream.

sanjay...@google.com

Jun 28, 2022, 11:57:06 AM6/28/22
to grpc.io
I guess this is really application logic and not a gRPC issue. You say "There is a Build_ID field in each request but I am not sure if it's unique for each client". Can you combine this with another id say project_id to make it unique?

Jiayi Guo

Jun 28, 2022, 12:08:44 PM6/28/22
to grpc.io
The Project_ID is most often empty. I plan to store requests to both RPC methods in a (maybe concurrentHashMap)HashMap<Build_ID, List<>>, is that a good idea or do you see any problem with that approach?

Sanjay Pujare

Jun 28, 2022, 12:13:26 PM6/28/22
to Jiayi Guo, grpc.io
Seems okay to me