Wrong instructions on building and installing gRPC?

Lennard

Jun 10, 2022, 10:21:32 AM6/10/22
to grpc.io
Hi,
I have just tried to install grpc on my local machine (Ubuntu 20.04) by following these steps: https://grpc.io/docs/languages/cpp/quickstart/#build-and-install-grpc-and-protocol-buffers

However, when I try to run "make install", I get the error message "Installing via 'make' is no longer supported. Use cmake or bazel instead."

Shouldn't the aforementioned guide be updated accordingly?
(Note: I am not asking how to fix this error. I just think an installation guide on the official website should just work under normal circumstances. Or did I do something wrong somewhere?)
Best regards,
Lennard

Richard Belleville

Jun 15, 2022, 1:29:58 PM6/15/22
to grpc.io
I just did a run-through of the instructions (on the master branch) and they seem to be working properly. Would you mind including a log of the exact commands you ran?

Lennard

Jun 17, 2022, 1:14:43 PM6/17/22
to grpc.io
Thanks for the answer. After I inspected my inputs further, I saw I didn't correctly setup the installation directory (so the first 3 steps). Sorry for the inconvenience; I hope if someone does the same mistake and gets this error, this might help them.