Hourly spikes in php grpc call

Karthik D

Jun 11, 2021, 7:39:34 AMJun 11
to grpc.io
Hi,

I am running a Php application (client) that communicates with rust application (server) via Grpc/Protobuf. I am seeing consistent hourly spikes for these calls.

Usually, the grpc call will be around 2-4 ms. But the hourly spike ranges from 30 ms to 1.5 seconds.

I wanted to know what is the reason for this spike and any possible way to avoid these spikes.

protobuf version - 3.15.5

grpc version - 1.36.0

Regards,

Karthik

Amit Saha

Jun 11, 2021, 8:16:04 AMJun 11
to Karthik D, grpc.io
You will definitely need to share more than that. Are you able to
reproduce it in any other setup?

When you say hourly, does your monitoring dashboards/metrics show
that? If so, is there anything else going on on the server - are
there more requests? What does the server do in response to the client
request?

> Regards,
>
> Karthik

Karthik D

Jun 11, 2021, 2:49:38 PMJun 11
to Amit Saha, grpc.io
Hi Amit,

Thanks for the reply.
Please ignore this. We found the root cause.

There was a flow triggering every hour during the grpc call. After running this in a separate thread solved the issue. Don't see spikes anymore.

Regards,
Karthik