Hourly spikes in php grpc call

Karthik D

Jun 11, 2021, 7:39:34 AM6/11/21
to grpc.io
Hi,

I am running a Php application (client) that communicates with rust application (server) via Grpc/Protobuf. I am seeing consistent hourly spikes for these calls.

Usually, the grpc call will be around 2-4 ms. But the hourly spike ranges from 30 ms to 1.5 seconds.

I wanted to know what is the reason for this spike and any possible way to avoid these spikes.

protobuf version - 3.15.5

grpc version - 1.36.0

Regards,

Karthik

Amit Saha

Jun 11, 2021, 8:16:04 AM6/11/21
to Karthik D, grpc.io
You will definitely need to share more than that. Are you able to
reproduce it in any other setup?

When you say hourly, does your monitoring dashboards/metrics show
that? If so, is there anything else going on on the server - are
there more requests? What does the server do in response to the client
request?

> Regards,
>
> Karthik

Karthik D

Jun 11, 2021, 2:49:38 PM6/11/21
to Amit Saha, grpc.io
Hi Amit,

Thanks for the reply.
Please ignore this. We found the root cause.

There was a flow triggering every hour during the grpc call. After running this in a separate thread solved the issue. Don't see spikes anymore.

Regards,
Karthik