Force closes upon toggle

iblastoff

Jul 13, 2010, 1:51:49 AM7/13/10
to Growl for Android
Hi,

I've installed this from the Android Marketplace onto my HTC Hero
running 2.1 (villainrom 12.0.0). I'm also an iphone user running Prowl
which receives notifications from my Win 7 machine running Growl for
Windows. This is working fine.

I've set up the Growl for Android preferences according to this:
http://code.google.com/p/growlforandroid/wiki/ForwardFromGfW

Unfortunately in the Growl for Android app, every time I open the app
and then try to toggle the off/on switch to get Growl running, i get
"Sorry! The application Growl for Android (process
com.growlforandroid.client) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try
again. I see the Growl logo in the notification bar which says "Growl
is running" but thats it.

Carey Bishop

Jul 13, 2010, 5:52:40 PM7/13/10
to growlfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in Growl for Android.

I've only been testing the code with my Motorola Milestone and the Android Emulator, so there could well be differences in the configuration of the HTC Hero devices that I'm not currently aware of.

- Is this issue happening for you every time you try to toggle the switch, or is it intermittent?
- Do you have Bluetooth enabled on your device? (this might seem unrelated, but we use the Bluetooth device name to identify the device in the notification responses)
- Are you using your WiFi or your mobile IP address to receive the notifications?
- Do you have large numbers of other background services running? Could it be running out of memory?

Thanks,
  Carey

iblastoff

Jul 14, 2010, 11:04:53 AM7/14/10
to Growl for Android
Hey Carey,

After going through your questions, I tried turning on bluetooth to
see if it made a difference, and lo and behold I get "Growl is
running" when I hit the toggle! I will test to see whether I receive
any notifications now. If turning on bluetooth was something already
written in one of your guides then I apologize for missing it.

I do plan on using wifi to receive notifications (although are you
saying it would work if I used the mobile IP address as well?). On the
Prowl iPhone app it notifies me regardless of whether I'm on wifi or
on my data plan. Is this something you'd think the Growl for Android
app will eventually do?

Either way, thanks muchly for covering something I dearly miss from
the iPhone side of things.

iblastoff

Jul 14, 2010, 11:51:55 AM7/14/10
to Growl for Android
Just an update:

Notifications are coming through just fine now! I guess until cloud
services on googles end is complete, we won't be able to get
notifications on the go yet?

Carey Bishop

Jul 14, 2010, 10:35:39 PM7/14/10
to growlfo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.

Good to hear that it works when Bluetooth is enabled. I'll have to update the code to cater for that as I was assuming it would be safe for ask for the name of the Bluetooth adaptor even if Bluetooth was disabled.

In theory, you should be able to receive GNTP notifications via the mobile IP address, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Often mobile providers block incoming connections to unusual ports so this isn't likely to work well in the longtime. I'm working on support for Notify.io, that should be ready for the next release, so that will provide a better means for getting notifications on the go, especially considering Growl for Windows has built-in support for it. I'm not planning on supporting Google's notification service in the near future as there are too few devices running Android 2.2 at this stage (including my own).

Carey