Grow Says: Please enter a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address, or a valid domain name

20 views
Skip to first unread message

Michael Newman

unread,
Dec 27, 2019, 3:27:12 AM12/27/19
to Growl Discuss
Growl 2.1.3 MacOS 10.13.6

I'm trying to enter a new domain name in the Network preferences, but Growl says: 

Please enter a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address, or a valid domain name


But, I know the domain name is good:


Axe:~ mnewman$ dig +short xxxxx.myddns.rocks

1.1.183.nnn


How can I fix this?

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Dec 27, 2019, 11:53:39 AM12/27/19
to Growl Discuss
Launch the console app and see if there are any logs associated with this.

I think we use pretty standard system calls, so it may be that os x has issues with whatever .rocks is as a tld.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/e13da933-7e4f-401e-8d5e-2bf926780e51%40googlegroups.com.


--
Chris Forsythe

Michael Newman

unread,
Dec 27, 2019, 9:11:31 PM12/27/19
to Growl Discuss
The only thing I see in the Console is a repetition of the same error message.

The TLD "rocks" is used by my DDNS provider, Dynu: https://www.dynu.com/

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Dec 30, 2019, 4:36:53 PM12/30/19
to Growl Discuss
Does another domain with a different tld work? I realize .rocks was established in 2014.

We don't have a .com or .net or any common tld/gtld enforcement written into Growl, I believe it's just using the operating system to determine things here. 

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 8:11 PM Michael Newman <mike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
The only thing I see in the Console is a repetition of the same error message.

The TLD "rocks" is used by my DDNS provider, Dynu: https://www.dynu.com/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.


--
Chris Forsythe

MGN Google

unread,
Dec 30, 2019, 6:45:47 PM12/30/19
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Yes, other domains work.

How would I check to see if it is the OS? I can log in to the machine via ssh using that address. The only place it doesn’t work as expected is with growl. 


On Dec 31, 2019, at 04:36, Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:



Chris Forsythe

unread,
Dec 31, 2019, 9:51:17 AM12/31/19
to Growl Discuss
Was the other domain you tried a dyndns type domain or something else? 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.


--
Chris Forsythe

MGN Google

unread,
Dec 31, 2019, 6:35:09 PM12/31/19
to growld...@googlegroups.com
It was a dyndns domain. TLD was tv. I switched DDNS  providers because the Dyn update client worked so poorly. 


On Dec 31, 2019, at 21:51, Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:


You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/growldiscuss/eoWvTL7T8dA/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/CAJpkWtVywYJNOBe%3DiDpR%3DN%3DHFPG2P779toGLd5VKPaQrS6DjTw%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Newman

unread,
May 30, 2020, 8:27:00 PM5/30/20
to Growl Discuss

Still haven't solved this. Any ideas?


Screenshot 2020-05-31 07.20.04.jpg


ssh works fine:


Axe:~ mnewman$ ssh -p '10000' 'mne...@xxxx.myddns.rocks'
Last login: Thu May 28 09:05:23 2020
The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
MrMuscle:~ mnewman$

Deivy Petrescu

unread,
May 31, 2020, 1:13:36 PM5/31/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Did you try to put the IP of the domain to see if it works?

> On May 30, 2020, at 20:27 , Michael Newman <mike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Still haven't solved this. Any ideas?
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/37e79dfa-9331-458f-9a5f-5107bdc5f362%40googlegroups.com.
> <Screenshot 2020-05-31 07.20.04.jpg>

Deivy Petrescu
apple...@dicas.com



Michael Newman

unread,
May 31, 2020, 5:40:14 PM5/31/20
to Growl Discuss
Yes, the IP address works. But it's a dynamic IP that changes at least once a day, so using the IP address isn't very helpful.


On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:13:36 AM UTC+7, Deivy Petrescu wrote:
Did you try to put the IP of the domain to see if it works?

> On May 30, 2020, at 20:27 , Michael Newman <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Still haven't solved this. Any ideas?
>
>
>
> <Screenshot 2020-05-31 07.20.04.jpg>
>
>
>
> ssh works fine:
>
>
>
> Axe:~ mnewman$ ssh -p '10000' 'mne...@xxxx.myddns.rocks'
> Last login: Thu May 28 09:05:23 2020
> The default interactive shell is now zsh.
> To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
> For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
> MrMuscle:~ mnewman$
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 3:27:12 PM UTC+7, Michael Newman wrote:
> Growl 2.1.3 MacOS 10.13.6
>
> I'm trying to enter a new domain name in the Network preferences, but Growl says:
>
> Please enter a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address, or a valid domain name
>
>
>
> But, I know the domain name is good:
>
>
>
> Axe:~ mnewman$ dig +short xxxxx.myddns.rocks
>
> 1.1.183.nnn
>
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growld...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Newman

unread,
May 31, 2020, 6:15:16 PM5/31/20
to Growl Discuss
Could someone please point me to the Growl 2.x documentation. I want to make sure I'm entering the passwords correctly.

Deivy Petrescu

unread,
May 31, 2020, 8:41:59 PM5/31/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com


> On May 31, 2020, at 17:40 , Michael Newman <mike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the IP address works. But it's a dynamic IP that changes at least once a day, so using the IP address isn't very helpful.

I understand that, I have an IP camera….
The point is now you know it works and there are no errors on your part.
May be “rocks”, as a domain, is not being accepted by Growl.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/3ffc2067-cd25-4855-bef2-997b22134889%40googlegroups.com.

Deivy Petrescu
apple...@dicas.com



Michael Newman

unread,
May 31, 2020, 9:35:49 PM5/31/20
to Growl Discuss
I think we established that early on. But, what we don't know is if the error is a problem with Growl or with MacOS.

Chris Forsythe said:

I think we use pretty standard system calls, so it may be that os x has issues with whatever .rocks is as a tld.

What I'd like to know now is exactly how Growl resolves domain names. I know that other stuff, like ssh and dig, can resolve .rocks domains, why can't Growl? 

I'd say a bug report is in order, but I can't figure out how to do that. Nor can I find documentation for the current version of Growl. Where is it?

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:41:59 AM UTC+7, Deivy Petrescu wrote:


> On May 31, 2020, at 17:40 , Michael Newman <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the IP address works. But it's a dynamic IP that changes at least once a day, so using the IP address isn't very helpful.

Charlie S

unread,
Jun 1, 2020, 11:03:34 AM6/1/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
There is some documentation here http://growl.info/documentation.php

When was .rocks added as a domain?

----
Charlie Schloss

Why Open the Web?

Despite the connecting purpose of the Web, it is not entirely open to all of its users. When used correctly, HTML documents can be displayed across platforms and devices. However, many devices are excluded access to Web content.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Newman

unread,
Jun 1, 2020, 5:54:24 PM6/1/20
to Growl Discuss
According to what Chris Forsythe posted here on December 31st:
 I realize .rocks was established in 2014
The documentation for which you posted the link is very sparse and is for version 1.x. The screenshots are different from version 2.x and it explains very little about how to complete the Network fields.

I'd still like to know what method Growl uses to resolve domain names.

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 10:03:34 PM UTC+7, Chas4 wrote:
There is some documentation here http://growl.info/documentation.php

When was .rocks added as a domain?

----
Charlie Schloss

Why Open the Web?

Despite the connecting purpose of the Web, it is not entirely open to all of its users. When used correctly, HTML documents can be displayed across platforms and devices. However, many devices are excluded access to Web content.


On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 7:35 PM Michael Newman <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:
I think we established that early on. But, what we don't know is if the error is a problem with Growl or with MacOS.

Chris Forsythe said:

I think we use pretty standard system calls, so it may be that os x has issues with whatever .rocks is as a tld.

What I'd like to know now is exactly how Growl resolves domain names. I know that other stuff, like ssh and dig, can resolve .rocks domains, why can't Growl? 

I'd say a bug report is in order, but I can't figure out how to do that. Nor can I find documentation for the current version of Growl. Where is it?

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:41:59 AM UTC+7, Deivy Petrescu wrote:


> On May 31, 2020, at 17:40 , Michael Newman <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the IP address works. But it's a dynamic IP that changes at least once a day, so using the IP address isn't very helpful.

The point is now you know it works and there are no errors on your part.
May be “rocks”, as a domain, is not being accepted by Growl.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growld...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Newman

unread,
Jun 3, 2020, 3:51:24 AM6/3/20
to Growl Discuss

So, I guess that's it. No solution to this problem.

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 10:08:39 AM7/8/20
to Growl Discuss
No one said no solution. I've been trying to figure out what's going on. Nothing about what you're running into makes much in the way of any sense so far.

Could you use a domain name with a different tld than rocks as a test? Maybe something established between 1980-2010? I'm not suggesting a permanent change unless you just want to do that, more just a test. The docs aren't very helpful for this because you're the first person to run into it in 15 years as far as I can tell.

If switching to a different dyndns solution with an older tld works, I also wonder if switching to a different solution under the same tld would work but I digress. Let's try to keep this simple if possible.

When I said system calls, I literally meant code provided by apple which ships with your system. The documentation you keep looking for most likely doesn't exist with them either. Other tools you use probably use the same api's or other things.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:51 AM Michael Newman <mike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

So, I guess that's it. No solution to this problem.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/ca951def-fb36-47ec-820a-96b038d1ddc9%40googlegroups.com.


--
Chris Forsythe

Michael Newman

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 5:38:21 PM7/8/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I know it works with a different TLD becuase I previously used a different dyndns service with a TLD of tv.


You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Growl Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/growldiscuss/eoWvTL7T8dA/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to growldiscuss...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/CAJpkWtURsWWXSK1owFROib1WQCwjyd%2B-%2BMk3Wo6G2TuqOngjuQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Jul 15, 2020, 5:55:14 PM7/15/20
to Growl Discuss
Just to try it out can you put another tld in with the same length? 

I'm running out of ideas other than to tell you to use a different domain name, which isn't ideal.



--
Chris Forsythe

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Jul 15, 2020, 5:57:32 PM7/15/20
to Growl Discuss
Oh I'm going to ask a duh question, do I just go to dyndns.rocks to register or is there something else? I'm willing to give it a go just to test it out if they have a way to set it up.
--
Chris Forsythe

Michael Newman

unread,
Jul 15, 2020, 5:59:43 PM7/15/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
The machine involved is a remote machine which is down at the moment. Because of the pandemic, I'm not sure when I'll be able to travel there again.

A couple of questions:

Have you tried this yourself with a .rocks TLD?

Can you identify the point in the code where the error message is generated and determine what tests the code does on the domain name? It seems that if code is producing unexpected results the first place to look is the code itself. 


Michael Newman

unread,
Jul 15, 2020, 6:07:05 PM7/15/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
https://www.dynu.com

There are many TLDs to choose from. I'd switch, but I've already deployed the .rocks TLD in too many places.

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Jul 29, 2020, 12:50:51 PM7/29/20
to Growl Discuss
Yea I'm not suggesting you change long term, just trying to rule things out.



--
Chris Forsythe

Michael Newman

unread,
Jul 29, 2020, 10:23:50 PM7/29/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible for us to get a look at the code or at least at the program logic that generates the error message I'm seeing? If we knew exactly what the code was doing to validate domain names, we might have a better idea as to what to do about it.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages