Growl for Windows is retiring

briandunnington

Nov 18, 2018, 1:54:36 PM11/18/18
to growl for windows
As most of you have probably noticed, Growl for Windows has not had a significant update in many years. With all major desktop operating systems now providing native notification features, the need for a third-party notification tool has diminished, and I have moved on to other projects that compete for my time.

I know lots of folks still use and rely on GfW so the latest version of the app will remain available for download from Github (https://github.com/briandunnington/growl-for-windows) along with the full source code for anyone that wants to fix bugs, add features, or build upon the idea. If anybody is looking for a compatible alternative, Snarl (https://snarl.fullphat.net/) supports the same underlying GNTP protocol that GfW uses so you should be able to switch and have your apps continue to work as before.

Finally, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to GfW over the years, either through code contributions, ecosystem support, feedback on this forum, or just being a happy user of the app. Building GfW into a vibrant open-source app with a large user base was an incredible experience and I truly appreciate all of the support from the community. Thanks you!

full phat

Nov 19, 2018, 11:28:38 AM11/19/18
to growl for windows

We've cloned the GitHub repo and would like to continue the support and development work of GfW in parallel to our ongoing development of Snarl.  Has anyone managed to build GfW in Visual Studio 2010 Express?  If so, we would appreciate some help! :-)