Growl 1.3 framework requirement

77 views
Skip to first unread message

Chris Forsythe

unread,
Sep 9, 2011, 9:58:32 PM9/9/11
to growld...@googlegroups.com, growl-de...@googlegroups.com, growl-n...@googlegroups.com
FYI, we have found a problem which will likely affect any application which does not use the newer Growl frameworks. Applications will need to update to the 1.2.2 framework in order to work with Growl.

If the application you work on is using Growl.framework 1.2, or any version below that, then please update to Growl.framework 1.2.2 as soon as you can. There are no api changes, it should be a simple drop in replacement.

Chris

Christopher Forsythe

unread,
Sep 16, 2011, 1:49:16 AM9/16/11
to growld...@googlegroups.com, growl-de...@googlegroups.com, growl-n...@googlegroups.com
Also, to check the version of the framework that you ship, you can open the Info.plist that lives inside the bundle. This is under the Resources directory.

You will be looking for the CFBundleVersion key.

Chris

Peter Hosey

unread,
Sep 16, 2011, 2:28:54 AM9/16/11
to Growl New Apps, Growl Discuss, Growl Development
(sent to all three groups this time)

On Sep 15, 2011, at 22:49:16, Christopher Forsythe wrote:
> Also, to check the version of the framework that you ship, you can open the Info.plist that lives inside the bundle. This is under the Resources directory.
>
> You will be looking for the CFBundleVersion key.

An easy way, especially if you work on multiple applications and assuming you use all of them (or at least have builds lying around), is to use the Growl Version Detective:

http://growl.info/files/Growl_Version_Detective-1.0b1.zip

This will use Spotlight to find all installed applications that have Growl frameworks inside them, and shows what version each application bundle has.

Markus Stange

unread,
Oct 4, 2011, 10:55:23 AM10/4/11
to growl-de...@googlegroups.com, growld...@googlegroups.com, growl-n...@googlegroups.com
Even with Growl.framework 1.2.2, [GrowlApplicationBridge isGrowlInstalled] always returns NO for me after I've installed Growl 1.3. It looks like that's because Growl 1.3 doesn't install the prefpane (which isGrowlInstalled checks for). And as far as I can tell, there haven't been any changes to any code that's called from [GrowlApplicationBridge isGrowlInstalled] between versions 1.2 and 1.2.2 of Growl.framework.

Am I doing something wrong, or has isGrowlInstalled just not been updated for 1.3 yet?

Peter Hosey

unread,
Oct 4, 2011, 1:48:11 PM10/4/11
to growl-de...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 4, 2011, at 07:55:23, Markus Stange wrote:
> Even with Growl.framework 1.2.2, [GrowlApplicationBridge isGrowlInstalled] always returns NO for me after I've installed Growl 1.3. It looks like that's because Growl 1.3 doesn't install the prefpane (which isGrowlInstalled checks for). And as far as I can tell, there haven't been any changes to any code that's called from [GrowlApplicationBridge isGrowlInstalled] between versions 1.2 and 1.2.2 of Growl.framework.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or has isGrowlInstalled just not been updated for 1.3 yet?

Nope, and this has bitten several apps (Skype seems to be one, from what I've read in user reports here on the list) that try to use isGrowlInstalled to conditionalize their use of Growl.

Reminder: You should send Growl notifications *unconditionally*. It is harmless to do so when Growl is not installed or is turned off.

Rachel Blackman

unread,
Oct 4, 2011, 1:57:35 PM10/4/11
to growl-de...@googlegroups.com

I used isGrowlInstalled in earlier versions of Trillian to grey out the notification section of preferences if Growl wasn't installed (and make a button appear linking to the Growl website to let folks download Growl if they wanted). This had the unfortunate side effect that you could still see notifications under 1.3, but the preferences pane claimed you wouldn't (and gave you a link to download Growl).

I changed that in Trillian a build or two ago in preparation for the 1.3 release, mind you. And once people are on the 1.3 framework, conditionalizing is no longer needed since there's Mist to give you fire-and-forget notifications. (Or rather, is needed in the reverse manner, sort of; if isGrowlRunning returns false, you show extra options to enable/disable notifications instead of letting them be configured via Growl itself.)

Markus Stange

unread,
Oct 5, 2011, 7:15:15 AM10/5/11
to growl-de...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:48:11 PM UTC+2, Peter Hosey wrote:

Nope, and this has bitten several apps (Skype seems to be one, from what I've read in user reports here on the list) that try to use isGrowlInstalled to conditionalize their use of Growl.

It has bitten Firefox and Thunderbird, too, which is what I'm fixing at the moment [1].
 

Reminder: You should send Growl notifications *unconditionally*. It is harmless to do so when Growl is not installed or is turned off.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages